What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BTW, size of binary compiled with "Cortex-A15" options is smaller than the size of the same binary compiled with "Cortex-A9" options:
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  9444 Jan 26 12:20 cpubench-a15
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10504 Jan 26 12:19 cpubench-a9
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3775 Jan 26 11:28 openwrt_cpu_bench_v06.c

Last edited:
As @RMerlin mentioned in another thread - one can "over optimize"... and attention might be better focused on the major bugs - compiler strategy is corner case optimization - there can be some big gains found with security and functional app updates, with less effort.

I agree with RMerlin. So it is why I do upgrade of old OpenWRT packages from stock FW, correction of bugs I found etc. More fresh version of OpenWRT package usually means that some old bugs are corrected (and new are introduced ;-)

IMO, enough with benchmarks. I'll continue using my options in next versions of FW.

P.S. I had to split my message... Blocked and blocked...
Voxel.

Not an option when dealing with a bunch of closed source components that are linked against uclibc.

It is true in my case. I am not free to use musl or glibc or even more fresh uClibc. I even cannot use compiler I want. Should be compatible with these components (pre-compiled by 4.6-2012 linaro with uClibc). Tried four or five versions of compiler. Kernel for example (additional obstacle) cannot be compiled by gcc 5.x

P.S.
Time to release new version (to start new thread, current is too long already :))

Voxel.

Last edited:
Live in the past, or live in the now and future...

Consider Alpine if nothing else - very good ARM support - both ARMv7a and AArch64...

These old BSP's are very good for 2006, not so good for 2016...

May have to check this out. Running stock .20 on my R7800 now. Ill have to see how difficult the install is over stock firmware. I assume Hardware Acceleration works fine with your builds, and no issues with 2.4/5.0Ghz wifi?

The FW is an .img file on my mac. Just flash that file to the router and be done?

admin@Stargate88:/tmp/home/root# ldd /usr/sbin/acsd

Had a chance to look at things here -- acsd was nice for 2004, but things have indeed changed...

Better to kick old code to the curb...

Anyways - old code is old code... some of it is kernel, some of it is gcc, and a lot of it is just basic design...

Spent a bit of time and investment- and cafeole is damn fast... containers and all... and 1GB RAM/4GB eMMC isn't a lot to ask...

Last edited:
The FW is an .img file on my mac. Just flash that file to the router and be done?

Yes. Use the Netgear "Firmware Update" under "Advanced" then Administrative". Then use "Browse" to point to the location of the .img file. Then "Upload". It will take a few minutes to update. Simple as that!

Had a chance to look at things here -- acsd was nice for 2004, but things have indeed changed...

Better to kick old code to the curb..

Acsd is part of the Broadcom SDK. There's nothing "old" about it, it first appeared around 2012 as part of Broadcom's SDK 6.xx, which added 802.11ac support, and has been since updated through the new SDK releases.

It definitely did not exist in 2004...

Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this thread but I have the R7000 router using a AsusWRT-Merlin firmware and it has worked well. That firmware is great when using the VPN client config to set up my AirVPN connection through the router.

The Netgear router std firmware is rubbish to be able to use a VPN.

I am looking at the faster R7800 as a better option for me but I do not know how good the VPN client support would be in the std firmware or whether this one adds anything to it.?

If the 7800 firmware and choices for VPN is anything like the pityful choices for the 7000 I'll look for other options.

Thanks

Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this thread but I have the R7000 router using a AsusWRT-Merlin firmware and it has worked well. That firmware is great when using the VPN client config to set up my AirVPN connection through the router.

The Netgear router std firmware is rubbish to be able to use a VPN.

I am looking at the faster R7800 as a better option for me but I do not know how good the VPN client support would be in the std firmware or whether this one adds anything to it.?

If the 7800 firmware and choices for VPN is anything like the pityful choices for the 7000 I'll look for other options.

Thanks

I am sorry, neither stock nor my build has OpenVPN client. Only server.

Voxel.

Thank you for your reply, most appreciated.

Sorry to read that but it was expected as stock doesn't seem to allow this.

I did post the question here....

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...7800-pre-purchase-question/m-p/1253876#M53100

and as you can see having the client built into the firmware does allow some useful control :)

Yes I know, I have AC68U, so I am familiar with its OpenVPN client WebGUI page (Eric firmware). Maybe I'll try to implement this (OpenVPN client) but there are significant obstacles: I do not have all source codes of stock FW, especially firewall and WebGUI...

Voxel.

Yes I know, I have AC68U, so I am familiar with its OpenVPN client WebGUI page (Eric firmware). Maybe I'll try to implement this (OpenVPN client) but there are significant obstacles: I do not have all source codes of stock FW, especially firewall and WebGUI...

Voxel.

I wasn't suggesting that this was something that anyone other than Netgear should consider to implement, but I do appreciate your consideration :)

As noted in that thread it seems that Netgear have not added the client options to any of the router models, even though they are a premium cost. That is something Netgear should strongly consider.
Since I posted that screen shot I have now made it rule based and have my "dumb" boxes like TV's and and Freeview units go through the WAN and other PC's, phones and tablets etc go through the VPN.
As you have the AC68U you will appreciate that flexibility, if you need it.

When buying a new router for me strong consideration always needs to be given to the facilities in the UI (like Asus) and then what third party support can offer from good people like you :)

Never mind. I found what I was looking for. Looking forward to try thing out on my R7800.

Hi rbird2,

My firmware is there in openrouter forum downloads, but it is not so easy to find. I guess that Netgear dislikes my job ;-) So it is additional why I try to change to this forum.

Voxel.

Just a big thank you for your excellent work. I don't do any fancy things with my R7800, just few surveillance cameras, two wireless printers, one small Synology 2 bay NAS, our home HVAC system depends on the router. Works just fine.

Just a big thank you for your excellent work. I don't do any fancy things with my R7800, just few surveillance cameras, two wireless printers, one small Synology 2 bay NAS, our home HVAC system depends on the router. Works just fine.

You are welcome. A lot of devices - good to test my firmware.;)

Voxel.

hello Voxel.

I have a quick query. Why the flash size of 128mb is under utilized. All the firmware is only 30mb max. Every router is just having enough flash memory to run mini os but never utilized.

Is the Flash rom 128 is different from the firmware rom being installed.

Why cant we have a OS like synology which also runs on 256Mb ram but has bunch of apps and features no other router in the market have it or thinks to run .

Hello ulaganath,

hello Voxel.

I have a quick query. Why the flash size of 128mb is under utilized. All the firmware is only 30mb max.

I have to frustrate you, even less, size of firmware should be 25MB max. Strange limitation, I agree, when e.g. ASUS allows to flash their 30MB firmware. So I have to limit my firmware to be less then 25MB. I believe it is some kind of obsolete limitation which was used for old routers, but it exists now and WebGUI (prebuilt in GPL codes of NETGEAR firmware) will not accept more than 25MB.

I did not dig it in deep, but some part of flash memory is used for U-Boot (it is good, because it is hard to brick this router), some for other internal needs of router, for example it is reserved to keep generated CA/CRT/KEY for OpenVPN, something else. Part of this is used for /rom, i.e. firmware itself, and part is available as an /overlay, i.e. space you can use for your needs. For example NETGEAR’s aditional apps ReadyCLOUD and Kwilt are installed automatically to this flash memory.

Why cant we have a OS like synology which also runs on 256Mb ram but has bunch of apps and features no other router in the market have it or thinks to run .

I do not know all Synology routers specs, but their main competitor of R7800, i.e. Synology RT2600ac with the same CPU IPQ8065 has 512MB (the same as R7800) but has 8+4GB of flash for a bunch of apps.

Well, with R7800 you have 2xUSB3 and eSATA. Use them for additional apps instead of internal flash. If you are in touch with Linux you can use external USB HDD/stick for additional apps from say Entware. For example I have 1TB HDD attached to my R7800. And it will be much faster than your R7000. At least with my FW ;)

Voxel.

can there be seperate gui within netgear to manage and install apps as well config in your firmware.

No Netgear dont have 25mb file size. I would say 30 mb is there for few r7000 beta firmware with arlo which reach 29.5MB

All i see is under utilized hardware thats all. it dont need to run a server. But mini version wont hurt it much unless we bloat it with tons of apps.

I want to know if you have a working FTP client which i can use as download manager which saves account but as i keep adding link it can split the file and download with threads.

I would love to see a short video of your firmware which helps us to understand better. just glimpse . For new and adavanced users what can be done and what not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!