What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000 v. 1.0.4.13HF/1.0.4.13HF-HW and 1.0.4.14HF/1.0.4.14HF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Voxel, I see that you now have a .14 release available for download. I haven't seen any detail posted on it, though. Is the new version intended to address the 5Ghz connectivity issues many of us saw on the Netgear .12 release and your .13 version?

Thank you ...

Hi Voxel, I see that you now have a .14 release available for download. I haven't seen any detail posted on it, though. Is the new version intended to address the 5Ghz connectivity issues many of us saw on the Netgear .12 release and your .13 version?

Thank you ...

Details: I have not much time to publish this in the special thread. Overloading (my main job). You may always check the changes.log on my site:

1.0.4.14HF/1.0.4.14HF-HW:

1. Partial rollback: most of integrated binaries and kernel objects from the stock 1.0.4.12 are reverted back to CountryIE version.
(to provide stability of Wi-Fi connection)
2. ubus package is upgraded 2018-07-26->2018-10-06-221ce7e7.
3. libevent2 package is upgraded 2.0.22-1->2.1.8.
4. libevent-core and libevent2-pthreads packages are removed (not used).
5. unbound package is upgraded 1.8.0->1.8.1.
6. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded to 2.31.1.

So should be the same stability as in 1.0.4.6HF(-HW).

Voxel.

Thank you, Voxel. The default view sorts changes.log to the bottom of the list and I didn't scroll down looking for it. You're always prompt in posting updates here so I never even realized it existed :D

I'll try to remember to check there first ... thanks!

Hello!
I can get the X10 for the same price as the XR500 (or in fact a bit less). My concern is that the 5Ghz performance on every test seems inferior to the XR500. I was wondering if this firmware has found a way to improve things (if it was not hardware shortcomings of course) or just adding extra features.

Hello!
I can get the X10 for the same price as the XR500 (or in fact a bit less). My concern is that the 5Ghz performance on every test seems inferior to the XR500. I was wondering if this firmware has found a way to improve things (if it was not hardware shortcomings of course) or just adding extra features.
Hard to say. I consider XR500 as a clone of R7800. I can compare both and my measurements are that the level and coverage of signal R7800 vs R9000 are practically the same. My builds do not boost the signal of R9000 especially but some users report increase level of signal for R9000. Probably side effect of bug fixing and package upgrade.

What you choose is up to you of course. I like R9000 because of its CPU and RAM.

Voxel.

Hard to say. I consider XR500 as a clone of R7800. I can compare both and my measurements are that the level and coverage of signal R7800 vs R9000 are practically the same. My builds do not boost the signal of R9000 especially but some users report increase level of signal for R9000. Probably side effect of bug fixing and package upgrade.

What you choose is up to you of course. I like R9000 because of its CPU and RAM.

Voxel.
Yeah that CPU/RAM was interesting to me for sure. I was also looking at the Archer C5400X. Is just that on every stock test the X10 was always slower but if yours matches the 7800 with your firmware then that sounds good to me! :)

FYI: too many owners of R9000 are dissatisfied by stability of its Wi-Fi (permanent dropouts). My version tries to fix it. But seems it is some kind of chronicle illness. I cannot fix everything because of lacking source codes and NG silent refusal to get some kind of cooperation with me. Well, problems with Wi-Fi stability is also reported for other NG routers with latest stock FW so it is something like a rule...

According to others my latest FW for R9000 is free of this problem. R9000 is my main router and no dropouts for e.g. 10 days.

Anyway. Being in your shoes I would choose R9000 (R7800 clone vs R9000 for the same price). But if I would need to spend my own money I'd choose R7800 (much cheaper and stable).

Voxel.

FYI: too many owners of R9000 are dissatisfied by stability of its Wi-Fi (permanent dropouts). My version tries to fix it. But seems it is some kind of chronicle illness. I cannot fix everything because of lacking source codes and NG silent refusal to get some kind of cooperation with me. Well, problems with Wi-Fi stability is also reported for other NG routers with latest stock FW so it is something like a rule...

According to others my latest FW for R9000 is free of this problem. R9000 is my main router and no dropouts for e.g. 10 days.

Anyway. Being in your shoes I would choose R9000 (R7800 clone vs R9000 for the same price). But if I would need to spend my own money I'd choose R7800 (much cheaper and stable).

Voxel.
Thanks for your honest feedback, really appreciate it! :)

PS Do you know if a Canadian version of a router works the same for USA?

Typically, the CA SKU will contain bilingual documentation (French/English).
Thank you.
I saw a model for the xr500 with a -CA extra model number letters vs the USA but at a lower price. Was just afraid of maybe difference in bands or what not. Then again, there is also the warranty from a Canada version and not sure if it would be honored in the USA so maybe not worth taking the chance. :)

Typically, the CA SKU will contain bilingual documentation (French/English).
Well. There was some kind of "play the fool". Guessing so. Thanks anyway for a clarifying (CA/US). What I had in mind in real is that there is no real protection (it is true at least for NG routers) against such stuffs as unlocking region or even such stuffs as use of “alien” firmware. I mean e.g. XR500 fw on R7800 or especially known for you hack of your ASUS WRT firmware working with R7000. It is why I have no any plans to release my version for XR500: it will be immediately hacked and used for R7800 under logo of hacker no mine.

Voxel.

@Voxel

How does netgear implement vlan in stock firmware? That is, what tools (in shell) can be used to manipulate/set tagged or untagged vlans?

Then again, there is also the warranty from a Canada version and not sure if it would be honored in the USA so maybe not worth taking the chance.

That might indeed be an issue, depending on their policies. A CA SKU might possibly not get warranty service if used outside of Canada.

@Voxel

How does netgear implement vlan in stock firmware? That is, what tools (in shell) can be used to manipulate/set tagged or untagged vlans?
Sorry, cannot help. I did not investigate the details of vlan implementation in deep. I just know that vconfig is included into firmware:

Code:
Usage: vconfig COMMAND [OPTIONS] ...
Create and remove virtual ethernet devices
Options:
        add             [interface-name] [vlan_id]
        rem             [vlan-name]
        set_flag        [interface-name] [flag-num]       [0 | 1]
        set_egress_map  [vlan-name]      [skb_priority]   [vlan_qos]
        set_ingress_map [vlan-name]      [skb_priority]   [vlan_qos]
        set_name_type   [name-type]

Voxel.

^^Thanks. Quite familiar with robocfg on asus merlin. Not sure how that translates to vconfig.

Robocfg is quite simple.

robocfg vlan 1 ports "0 1 2 3 4 5t"
robocfg vlan 4 ports "0t 1t 2t 3t 4t 5t"

Creates tagged vlan 4 on all ports and untagged vlan 1 (also on all ports).

Voxel I would like to thank you a lot!

My Netgear R9000 is finally stable and my internet doesn't go out everyday like it use to. Where I needed to restart my router and cable modem daily.

You are welcome, mine is working too...

Voxel.
Well I’m on the hf/hw .6 for the r9000 and have and almost zero issues the stick firmware is crap and was making me reset once a day sometimes more. And then wouldn’t reconnect after power failures ect is the up date .14 just as good or since I have not had any issues u think I should just stay at the .6 version. Like what’s the benefits of the update can U explain

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!