What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sometimes, it will partially upload, maybe 10% or so and then it drops.
I face something like this sometimes. It happens because of the browser cache. Try to clear the cache of the browser. Then close your browser and run it again and try to flash.

Voxel.

I'm aware that you have not modified the Parental Controls function, so maybe this question can be answered, or not.

Just bought the R9000 and am about to set it up later on today. My current setup is the R7800/DDWRT with my clients dns pointing to my local PiHole DNS/ad filter server, with per device logging and i'd like to keep using it with the new router.

I want the stock functionality. I want Parental Controls. And I want to use my DNS Pihole server. Will the R9000 Parental Controls stop functioning (per device) if I redirect my DHCP clients to the PiHole for dns (pihole dnsmaq points back to the router)? Has anyone ever tried this or have suggestions on how to configure?

And I want to use my DNS Pihole server. Will the R9000 Parental Controls stop functioning (per device) if I redirect my DHCP clients to the PiHole for dns (pihole dnsmaq points back to the router)?

I cannot say concretely, it is necessary to try and debug your environment.

Voxel.

Hi @Voxel

I just got this R9000 router and wanted to play with custom firmware where I can have my own changes, application/programs and stuff added. I played with OpenWRT before for Linksys WRT3200ACM router and really confused about this router.

From where I can get the source-code for R9000? And I flashed your firmware and its still have Netgear Genie interface. So you got netgear firmware and modified it to run on R9000?

Thanks

My changes for R9000:

https://github.com/SVoxel/R9000

Yes. It is modified stock firmware. Many changes but GUI is rather original.

Voxel.

Thanks for replying @Voxel . Just few more questions:

I believe your above repo source is compilable like openwrt or you have some script to compile and setup environment?

From where you got R9000 Netgear source-code? Or its standard openwrt with reversed engineer things from you?

Thanks in advance

I believe your above repo source is compilable like openwrt or you have some script to compile and setup environment?

From where you got R9000 Netgear source-code? Or its standard openwrt with reversed engineer things from you?

Thanks in advance

I found the Netgear GPL code from here (https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL) but really need your answer about compiling the sources and have a working image (ideally from your repo). So just need points about toolchain and how I can setup to get started compiling.

Thanks in advance

Well, few questions but a bit long story.

My repo uses GPL source codes published by NETGEAR on NETGEAR site

https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL

I’ve downloaded (yet in Feb 2017) GPL source codes of the stock firmware version 1.0.1.36. I did not have this R9000 unit yet , the last was sent me later in Jun 2017 by NETGEAR Guy (thanks to him). So I started to prepare my very first release using FULL source codes of 1.0.1.36 (start of my job was end of Feb 2017). I.e. changing what was already done by me for R7800 and using my own optimal compiler options and my toolchain.

But later (Mar 2017) NETGEAR has replaced ALL their GPL for R7500/R7800/R9000 (including even old releases) cutting off the key packages with e.g. binary QCA drivers, some kernel objects etc. I.e. currently if you even download 1.0.1.36 from NETGEAR site you will get such castrated version and after your compilation and flashing you will get brick instead of router. But I had original version with FULL sources so I used and use it for my builds (adding missed packages). Reason of such NETGEAR action is not clear to me, probably they very dislike my job.

On the other hand I do use GPL officially published by NETGEAR and legally downloaded from their public downloads. So I do not violate any laws and rules. But to avoid any problems my repo contains only packages I change and I do not publish the packages they cut off (BTW it is not so for R7800 because I’ve published FULL version before NETGEAR start to remove packages and it has no sense to remove these packages for me).

So no reverse engineering, I use GPL source codes officially downloaded in past from NETGEAR site, it is not standard OpenWRT, I perform compilation of source codes (using my version of toolchain and my host tools and my compiler options and my changes in updating packages).

Voxel.

Well, few questions but a bit long story.

My repo uses GPL source codes published by NETGEAR on NETGEAR site

https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL

I’ve downloaded (yet in Feb 2017) GPL source codes of the stock firmware version 1.0.1.36. I did not have this R9000 unit yet , the last was sent me later in Jun 2017 by NETGEAR Guy (thanks to him). So I started to prepare my very first release using FULL source codes of 1.0.1.36 (start of my job was end of Feb 2017). I.e. changing what was already done by me for R7800 and using my own optimal compiler options and my toolchain.

But later (Mar 2017) NETGEAR has replaced ALL their GPL for R7500/R7800/R9000 (including even old releases) cutting off the key packages with e.g. binary QCA drivers, some kernel objects etc. I.e. currently if you even download 1.0.1.36 from NETGEAR site you will get such castrated version and after your compilation and flashing you will get brick instead of router. But I had original version with FULL sources so I used and use it for my builds (adding missed packages). Reason of such NETGEAR action is not clear to me, probably they very dislike my job.

On the other hand I do use GPL officially published by NETGEAR and legally downloaded from their public downloads. So I do not violate any laws and rules. But to avoid any problems my repo contains only packages I change and I do not publish the packages they cut off (BTW it is not so for R7800 because I’ve published FULL version before NETGEAR start to remove packages and it has no sense to remove these packages for me).

So no reverse engineering, I use GPL source codes officially downloaded in past from NETGEAR site, it is not standard OpenWRT, I perform compilation of source codes (using my version of toolchain and my host tools and my compiler options and my changes in updating packages).

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel for detailed reply.

One (hopefully) final question: From above description I assume that WLAN driver and other missing packages you used in your distribution are from R7800 repo? Or not? Just asking to understand if its worth spending time to try to build working image by my own or not.

I assume that WLAN driver and other missing packages you used in your distribution are from R7800 repo? Or not?
Not of course. As I said I used GPL sources of 1.0.1.36 for R9000. Not anything from R7800. I do not use binaries from one router to use with other router. Only source codes. And BTW binaries are rather incompatible (R9000 vs R7800).

In Feb 2017 the sources of 1.0.1.36 (R9000) were OK for building workable FW for R9000. No cut off yet.

Voxel.

Not of course. As I said I used GPL sources of 1.0.1.36 for R9000. Not anything from R7800. I do not use binaries from one router to use with other router. Only source codes. And BTW binaries are rather incompatible (R9000 vs R7800).

In Feb 2017 the sources of 1.0.1.36 (R9000) were OK for building workable FW for R9000. No cut off yet.

Voxel.

Hi again,

I was not asking about if you are using binaries from R7800, but was asking about source code from R7800 and you compiled for R9000. But now I realised my question was based on my bad quick look at your R7800 repo.

If possible can I get hold of the sources from Feb 2017 (R9000) which you mentioned? Like some link to them etc?

Thanks in advance

but was asking about source code from R7800 and you compiled for R9000
Such part as some software packages are the same for R7800/R9000. I.e. OpenSSL/OpenVPN/Samba etc. At least one of my goal is to unify them. Kernel/drivers are different.

If possible can I get hold of the sources from Feb 2017 (R9000) which you mentioned? Like some link to them etc?
OK. Link is in your P.M. I stress: this archive was legally downloaded from official NG site. You may compare downloading from NG site the "cut off" version 1.0.1.36 (to see what packages were removed).

Voxel.

Such part as some software packages are the same for R7800/R9000. I.e. OpenSSL/OpenVPN/Samba etc. At least one of my goal is to unify them. Kernel/drivers are different.

OK. Link is in your P.M. I stress: this archive was legally downloaded from official NG site. You may compare downloading from NG site the "cut off" version 1.0.1.36 (to see what packages were removed).

Voxel.

Thanks a lot.

Just received an email from netgear advising of a new firmware .12
Also, why can’t find a link to R9000 firmware on voxwell site? There’s a link for R8900

Hi Voxell
I’ve updated to the latest version .6 and now my vpn won’t activate.
I’ve not changed anything else other than updating the router, rebooting it and inserting the usb with my files again.
I’ve even rebooted it with the usb in for extra measure but still no vpn.
I’m at a loss.

You can look in the logfile to see what goes wrong.
Code:
cat /var/log/openvpn-client.log

Also if you install the Kamoj-add-on you can get some information.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online