What's new

CUSTOM/FORK RMERLIN FIRMWARE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This firmware is awesome... Is it possible to get a 68u version with the traffic analyzer.... Signal strength is so much better with the extra tx power!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I am testing the 378.50.3_HGG-FINAL hggomes firmware on an RT-N66U. Boot loader is 1.0.1.3 if it makes any difference. And of course, a full reset and manual setup followed the loading of this firmware.

The Ookla speedtests are 97 to 98% of what the 378.50 Final RMerlin firmware could do (virtually identical), but, the Wireless to LAN performance is 30 to 40% slower (test file previously transferred at 25MB/s now between 18 to 15MB/s, both systems are SSD based).

I have ensured that CTF is enabled, even though that should not make a difference.

I have also tried with Jumbo Frame on and off (worse with no Jumbo Frame support).

I had also enabled IPTraffic Monitoring, but even turning that off (to enable hardware acceleration) did not improve these results from a wireless client that is 10 feet away from the router to a wired client on the LAN.

Is there something else I'm missing to ensure a fast LAN? I haven't had coffee today, but I have left this like this for about 20 hours with no improvements even with the testing I've done above.

With regards to the higher radio power, I have set it to 100% (it had defaulted to 50%) but do not notice any throughput improvements with my other clients either. The range is similar to the RMerlin firmware as is the indicated connection speed of my marginal clients.

I also have an RT-N56U with moonman / Padavan's latest firmware being used as a bridge to an A/V receiver. This stops communicating to the internet after several hours. I have had to reboot this twice so far to get the internet radio working again, even though I can control the A/V device through the LAN connection with no issues.

I can't say this release is working well for me at all. At least not for my RT-N66U.

Are there any other users with better experiences? Do higher performance router models handle this firmware better?

hggomes , I thank you for your efforts to produce this fork.

If you have any advice to bring the performance at least to where it was, it would be appreciated.

Lower your powerslide to the minimum value and test it again, if you are in a area too much populated it will not help you having high power levels, most of the times it will kill your performance, interference will increase.

hggomes, should I try 25% or even lower? At the 50% default, it was already slower too.

Minimum it's < 25% (1-24), please read the changelog so you can understand the values, the minimum value (100mW) is still higher than stock (80mW), so if you still not happy with the performance you will be forced to lower to the same stock value via SSH to make a comparation, it will perform the same, thats guaranteed.

Maybe i should set the minimum value equal to stock, give me a feedback and i will decide on that.

Last edited:
Okay, I just tried 25% and the throughput is still 15-19MB/s.

I will try lower output. Ah, just read the changelog again and am I understanding it correctly that anything between 1 to 25% is 100mW output?

I'll try 1% and see what it does.

No, < 25 is between 1 and 24.

Make sure you are lowering the correct band, there are 2 different powerslide bars, 2.4 and 5ghz :)

I understand that < 25 is between 1 and 24. I was asking what the power output would be in that setting range.

I just tried it at 1% for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands and the throughput stays closer to 15MB/s for most of the transfer, inching up to 17MB/s at the end.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry i didnt understand it, yes 100mW is used between 1-24.

Thats a weird thing, no other changes exist beside txpower, i would need to test to check if the same scenario exists.

I advice you to use RMerlin stock and test it again for longer time to make sure theres really that performance gap.

Is it so that this firmware will let me bypass the maximum TX power and channel regulations enforced in later Asus and Asus Merlin firmwares?

I have a problem with my Apple devices that don't cope with the enforced 802.11d+h on 5.0GHz and want to disable it. Thus far I have figured I need to modify the bootloader, but if these firmwares will make me able to disabled it within the WebUI as well boost the TX-power I would love to be PM'ed the link for RT-AC68 and RT-AC87U if anyone got those?

I am testing the 378.50.3_HGG-FINAL hggomes firmware on an RT-N66U. Boot loader is 1.0.1.3 if it makes any difference. And of course, a full reset and manual setup followed the loading of this firmware.

The Ookla speedtests are 97 to 98% of what the 378.50 Final RMerlin firmware could do (virtually identical), but, the Wireless to LAN performance is 30 to 40% slower (test file previously transferred at 25MB/s now between 18 to 15MB/s, both systems are SSD based).

I have ensured that CTF is enabled, even though that should not make a difference.

I have also tried with Jumbo Frame on and off (worse with no Jumbo Frame support).

I had also enabled IPTraffic Monitoring, but even turning that off (to enable hardware acceleration) did not improve these results from a wireless client that is 10 feet away from the router to a wired client on the LAN.

Is there something else I'm missing to ensure a fast LAN? I haven't had coffee today, but I have left this like this for about 20 hours with no improvements even with the testing I've done above.

With regards to the higher radio power, I have set it to 100% (it had defaulted to 50%) but do not notice any throughput improvements with my other clients either. The range is similar to the RMerlin firmware as is the indicated connection speed of my marginal clients.

I also have an RT-N56U with moonman / Padavan's latest firmware being used as a bridge to an A/V receiver. This stops communicating to the internet after several hours. I have had to reboot this twice so far to get the internet radio working again, even though I can control the A/V device through the LAN connection with no issues.

I can't say this release is working well for me at all. At least not for my RT-N66U.

Are there any other users with better experiences? Do higher performance router models handle this firmware better?

hggomes , I thank you for your efforts to produce this fork.

If you have any advice to bring the performance at least to where it was, it would be appreciated.

I have a huge difference from merlin 50 ta to this however I also have 9dbi antennas. I only use 50% and the signal is massively improved! Oh I'm using the 68u oced to 1200/800 also

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

help with the firm

hi
sorry for seeing this, a completly horrible thing to watch
Any way would someone send me the last version for RT-N66U

Thank you.

hggomes i'm with you, sky is the limit

Sorry for my bad english, i'm portuguese

Just installed 50.3

Everything working perfect here, Speed seems the same as Merlin 50 version.
Thank so much to hggomes for his great work, makes it fun testing.

Sam

Is it so that this firmware will let me bypass the maximum TX power and channel regulations enforced in later Asus and Asus Merlin firmwares?

I have a problem with my Apple devices that don't cope with the enforced 802.11d+h on 5.0GHz and want to disable it. Thus far I have figured I need to modify the bootloader, but if these firmwares will make me able to disabled it within the WebUI as well boost the TX-power I would love to be PM'ed the link for RT-AC68 and RT-AC87U if anyone got those?

I have the same behavior with my RT-AC87U, so please could anyone send me a PM with the link?

Many thanks!

When I first loaded the firmware I was able to chose from 0-200% TX Power in the GUI on both my RT-AC68U and RT-87U but after hitting reply and rebooting it's back at 100% and I can only go from 1-100%?

Is this a bug, or is the TX boosting disabled in the latest version? Or do I have to input some code over SSH or something in order to boost it?

When I first loaded the firmware I was able to chose from 0-200% TX Power in the GUI on both my RT-AC68U and RT-87U but after hitting reply and rebooting it's back at 100% and I can only go from 1-100%?

Is this a bug, or is the TX boosting disabled in the latest version? Or do I have to input some code over SSH or something in order to boost it?

Well 100% at this fw is quite some boost compairing to stock.

Stock 100%=80mW

hggomes:

< 25%
100mW (20 dBm)

25% =< 50%
200mW (23 dBm)

50% =< 75%
316mW (25 dBm)

75% =< 100%
500mW (27 dBm)

= 100%
708mW (28.5 dBm)

So you can't even get so low as stock (or merlin) maximum with this fw. (Or modified CFE)

Hello all

Could someone send me a new firmware for RT-AC66U,i have a old version and it work fantastic,but love to try a new one ;)

Thank`s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!