What's new

Customer owned issues caused by Xfinity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bboncorr1

Occasional Visitor
So I’ve done a deep dive into an issue I’m having and discovered Xfinity line upgrades for their 10G network are causing major issues for customer owned modems.

What I found is the same story posted online many times by different people all having the same exact issues. Xfinity will notify you they are UPGRADING the line so your service will be down. Then when the service goes back up you will only have half of your advertised speed (half was 600mbps for me). The basic breakdown I found is they are sending the signal on new frequencies after line upgrades. If the modem you are using isn’t approved for those frequencies BY XFINITY then your speed will drop. Apparently they are not approving the modems to receive the signals.

I tried 3 Arris S33’s & a Netgear nighthawk 2050 and got the same results. Xfinity wouldn’t even allow me to install the last 2 Arris saying it’s not compatible for me anymore. Today I noticed they added 2 Gig availability to my home (oddly not any of my neighbors). So I upgraded with their equipment. After a quick install and putting their equipment into bridge mode I’m getting full speed on ipv4. IPv6 is clearly capped at 1200 on this tier. Upload is at 120.

Hopefully this saves someone the hours I put in as it was frustrating.

Interesting, since comcrap offers 2 gig DL/200MB UL in Northern California, with s33 still on authorized list, but limited to 100 upload.
Are you using the XB10? What is the cost of modem rental? We ditched all comcrap equipment, and bought the s33, and it took the tech 30+ mins to get the modem to authorize with their fw, unlike the video/app that states a few minutes and you are up and surfing the web :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Interesting, since comcrap offers 2 gig DL/200MB UL in Northern California, with s33 still on authorized list, but limited to 100 upload.
Are you using the XB10? What is the cost of modem rental? We ditched all comcrap equipment, and bought the s33, and it took the tech 30+ mins to get the modem to authorize with their fw, unlike the video/app that states a few minutes and you are up and surfing the web
The S33 is definitely still on the list. I was trying to explain this to tech support as they insisted it wasn’t allowed. I went through multi tiers of support each call. Finally I gave up. Then today I walked into the store and just got their equipment.

The XB10 isn’t even announced so you must be in the trial area. We only have the XB8 available locally. The split here is 2000/120. Modem/router is only $15 monthly. The overall jump in price was only $25 so it was worth removing the headache while tripling my upload while getting another 800 on the DL. The XB8 isn’t to bad. It’s got the 6G band that I run my tv off. I threw it into bridge mode though. I’m saving my Netgear 2050 for when things get worked out.