What's new

Xfinity speed issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I figured out the problem. It was the line upgrade Xfinity just completed. 2000/120 just became available at my house after the upgrade to the lines. People all over are having this issue. They changed the frequencies and refuse to tell anyone about it. Basically if your modem isn’t approved by them for those frequencies they will not send a full signal. They have not approved any modems outside of theirs. I tried installing another 2 Arris S33 but Xfinity outright refused saying it’s not compatible now. This gives more strength to what an engineer explained online. After upgrades we are forced into their equipment or our equipment is limited.

I upgraded to the 2 gig and installed their modem into bridge mode. Everything went back to normal immediately.

So how were you getting 1.2 gig to Starry if they were supposedly throttling you or "not sending full signal" (that doesn't make any sense BTW).

Yes, if your modem is not D3.1 or D4 compatible you will not get D3.1 or D4 speeds, however you will get whatever the modem is capable of. That's just how DOCSIS works. I'm assuming your modem is D3.1 capable as you were getting over a gig, where D3.0 is limited to about 350. Your new modem is probably also D3.1, doubt they're handing out D4s yet but maybe. Regardless, your modem was working fine before, and if you really wanted to use a "supported" modem there are plenty of D3.1 on their supported list for the 1.2G tier.

Sounds like Comcast just tricked you into paying for a more expensive service.

Probably just the Gateway Rental fess...

What's funny is those can be waived by Customer Retention...

Probably their most profitable line item. I get emails for my mom's account and they constantly spam with their gateway with claims that it will somehow unleash something she isn't already getting.

Not sure the pricing in OPs area but I'm assuming 2.0/120 is fetching a premium over 1.2/50. Who knows though.

@bboncorr1
#1 comcrap rule - It Is Always The Customer's Fault/Equipment As issue
Have you seen the comcast groups? People that had their area upgraded to faster up/down speeds, but not using isp equipment, comcrap has crippled the s33 to only 1/2 the upload upgrade speeds.
Those higher speeds "are not guaranteed" and "speeds are for a single device directly connected to their modem". I have been told some bizarre excuses from comcrap techs, some which defy physics/logic, as to why only lower speeds are achieved.
If you are having any issues with speed/quality, then have a comcrap tech inspect every single line and connection within your home to eliminate "you" being the issue. It took a month (June 2023) of multiple tech visits to eliminate my equipment as the issue, before they replaced the drop to my house, then two nodes on my block :rolleyes:
I happened to come across this the other night. Started noticing a consistent trend with people saying it was after the lines were upgraded. Revisited it last night after Xfinity refused to put a new S33 I grabbed in case it was a dud.

From what I found they started delivering the signal on a new frequency. If your modem isn’t approved by Xfinity to carry that signal then you’ll have service cut in half. Basically companies submitted their product to xfinity but they are not approving them now.
So how were you getting 1.2 gig to Starry if they were supposedly throttling you or "not sending full signal" (that doesn't make any sense BTW).

Yes, if your modem is not D3.1 or D4 compatible you will not get D3.1 or D4 speeds, however you will get whatever the modem is capable of. That's just how DOCSIS works. I'm assuming your modem is D3.1 capable as you were getting over a gig, where D3.0 is limited to about 350. Your new modem is probably also D3.1, doubt they're handing out D4s yet but maybe. Regardless, your modem was working fine before, and if you really wanted to use a "supported" modem there are plenty of D3.1 on their supported list for the 1.2G tier.

Sounds like Comcast just tricked you into paying for a more expensive service.
You couldn’t be more wrong. Maybe take the time to read my full explanation or look into it yourself. Xfinity outright denied me from putting 2 S33 on the account. Said the modem was not considered compatible right now even though it has xfinity on the box. Read more on mid/split issues with xfinity to find the engineer that explained it. There are other people here going over the same issues with mid/split. People on this forum

Probably their most profitable line item. I get emails for my mom's account and they constantly spam with their gateway with claims that it will somehow unleash something she isn't already getting.

Not sure the pricing in OPs area but I'm assuming 2.0/120 is fetching a premium over 1.2/50. Who knows though.

Probably just the Gateway Rental fess...

What's funny is those can be waived by Customer Retention...
Takes 1 call to complain and those fees are gone. It’s like a $25 difference to triple upload and actually get the speeds I’m paying for

Takes 1 call to complain and those fees are gone. It’s like a $25 difference to triple upload and actually get the speeds I’m paying for

Thanks for nothing - may you sew socks in hell...

We have no obligation to help you, and this is how you reply?

I happened to come across this the other night. Started noticing a consistent trend with people saying it was after the lines were upgraded. Revisited it last night after Xfinity refused to put a new S33 I grabbed in case it was a dud.

From what I found they started delivering the signal on a new frequency. If your modem isn’t approved by Xfinity to carry that signal then you’ll have service cut in half. Basically companies submitted their product to xfinity but they are not approving them now.

You couldn’t be more wrong. Maybe take the time to read my full explanation or look into it yourself. Xfinity outright denied me from putting 2 S33 on the account. Said the modem was not considered compatible right now even though it has xfinity on the box. Read more on mid/split issues with xfinity to find the engineer that explained it. There are other people here going over the same issues with mid/split. People on this forum

I've asked multiple times. How were you getting 1.2 gig speed tests to Starry with your original modem if what you claim is true?

They always tell you your own modem is not compatible. That's how they sell you their gateway.

I've asked multiple times. How were you getting 1.2 gig speed tests to Starry with your original modem if what you claim is true?

They always tell you your own modem is not compatible. That's how they sell you their gateway.
At no point did they even offer a gateway. There is literally people all over the net complaining about the exact same situation after the lines were upgraded. If you truly want to educate yourself look into what I posted. I literally explained exactly what you’ve asked multiple times so either you’re not getting it or not reading the full post.

“10G xfinity mid split issues” Google it or you’re wasting everyone’s time

At no point did they even offer a gateway. There is literally people all over the net complaining about the exact same situation after the lines were upgraded. If you truly want to educate yourself look into what I posted. I literally explained exactly what you’ve asked multiple times so either you’re not getting it or not reading the full post.

“10G xfinity mid split issues” Google it or you’re wasting everyone’s time

Still haven't answered the question.

I can google "what is this rash" and a million people will say cancer. Google is not a "source" or "proof". I have no doubt that they are having mid split issues, growing pains, and from what another poster said, the S33 takes some extra provisioning.

But hey, enjoy your new internet, pretty sure you've alienated most people here.

Hate to keep this thread alive, BUTT
💩
Just got a notification from comcrap stating:
"There are performance issues related to our services in your area, and we will be taking your services down at 12:00pm Friday...."

I'm sure they have everything working perfectly now, and I will experience zero internet/data issues, this Friday.
-Clark "Please Don't Screw Up Our Internet" Griswald

Hate to keep this thread alive, BUTT
💩
Just got a notification from comcrap stating:
"There are performance issues related to our services in your area, and we will be taking your services down at 12:00pm Friday...."

I'm sure they have everything working perfectly now, and I will experience zero internet/data issues, this Friday.
-Clark "Please Don't Screw Up Our Internet" Griswald
I hope it’s not what others report. People are saying once the modems are approved for the new system they should work normal again. I’m keeping the old modem with a 2.5 on it. Hopefully I’ll only deal with their equipment for a couple months

S33 is in mid-split testing.
Right now there are four retail devices approved for mid-split on Comcast/Xfinity.
This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for. I already have the Netgear 2050. No wonder they kept declining to put the S33 on my account but approved the 2050 immediately. I’m not sure if they’ll allow it on the X2 plan