1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

D-Link DIR-882 AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Oct 9, 2017.

1. e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN Very Senior Member

Enjoy.

2. apvm

apvm Occasional Visitor

DDWRT run stable but too bad when I fast forward a movie via my plex server, it will crash the router and cause it to reboot. Back to my WRT1900AC with Lede firmware, no problem. Have to find out the cause of it.

3. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Nothing against DDWRT or Kong's build, much less the efforts on OpenWRT...

OpenWRT on the WRT1200/1900 line/WRT3200 series - very fast on routing and storage.

The NDA/Commercial WLAN drivers on Linksys stock - the WRT1900ac line is pretty awesome range wise, just that Linksys SmartWifi isn't friendly for folks that need to do a bit more...

The Marvell FOSS drivers on the WRT's have been a pain in the ***....

apvm likes this.
  4. apvm

apvm Occasional Visitor

The Dir-882 with latest stock 1.11 firmware don't crash the router while using plex so it is a DDWRT bug, too bad the stock firmware don't have some of the settings that I required.

The WRT1900AC works well with David's Lede builds and can stream 4K without problem from my plex server which is connected to an ea6900 with ddwrt as client bridge in the basement. to my Mi Box upstairs which is also connected with AC wifi.

The R7000 is my back up router and I like the fact that it support quite a few third party firmware.

Both range and signal strength of the Dir-882 is better than the other two routers above, too bad stock firmware is not my cup of tea.

Nonetheless after testing the DIR-882, I don't think I need to upgrade anytime soon, at least not until I upgrade my internet connection to gigabit.

Thanks again, much appreciate your comments.

5. e38BimmerFN

Sounds like WRT is the problem if Stock FW doesn't cause a problem.

If you can use the WRT1900AC as your main host router, hook up the DIR router as the main AP in AP mode and let the WRT be the main host router if the works for your needs.

6. apvm

apvm Occasional Visitor

Actually do not have time to test stock FW, just revert back to WRT1900AC at this moment and thinking if I should keep the 882.

7. apvm

apvm Occasional Visitor

Sold my 882 and here are my findings of this router :

1) Both range and connectivity are better than my R7000 and WRT1900AC v2
    2) Stock firmware not perfect but enough.
    3) DDWRT is not stable at all, random reboot.

If you are presently using stock firmware with wireless N only router or low end wireless AC router, this is worth upgrading to (only if you are planning to use stock firmware). If you are planning to use DDWRT with it, I would hold off since DDWRT is not stable with this router, random reboot and I suspect it is wifi driver related.

Everything that the review stated are accurate with stock firmware, a good buy for the money especially if you have upgraded to gigabit internet and your old router can not handle the speed.

One last thing is that I read some foreign review and they indicated that the 882 flash memory for firmware is only 16mb not sure if that is accurate.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. e38BimmerFN

HW specs here for the 882:
    https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-882_rev_A1