What's new

Daisy chaining router over wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerq

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am trying to daisy chain (LAN to WAN) my AC86U (primary, official firmware) to my AC5300 (secondary, on Merlin, wifi 2 upper channels not working).

currency they are daisy chained wired.

I want to see if there is a way to daisy chain over wifi. I want to keep the sub-nets separate

The option I see is to use Powerline kit, but I am trying to save $$$

Regards

No. Asus routers don't have wireless WAN mode, or also called WISP.

Different subnets, but not exactly separated this way. What's the idea?

Thanks.

I like running pihole, but family is not ok with the issues it causes.

I put Merlin on rt-ac86u and it goes crazy (Even after multiple resets and m&m config).

so planning to have a separate network for my devices... and do some experimentation on my ac5300

so not interested in running downstairs for every reset etc...

but good news is that I havea "TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR902AC)" that has a WISP mode, but only 450mbps on 5g...

I put Merlin on rt-ac86u and it goes crazy

Current Asuswrt 386_42643 is stable. I don't see issues with current Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_6 either. AC86U router.

I like running pihole, but family is not ok with the issues it causes.

Pi-hole itself doesn't cause issues. The way you set it up does. The more blocking obsessed you are, the worse it gets.

Current Asuswrt 386_42643 is stable. I don't see issues with current Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2_6 either. AC86U router.

Pi-hole itself doesn't cause issues. The way you set it up does. The more blocking obsessed you are, the worse it gets.

I agree the original firmware was stable , I believe the Merlin is also stable.

The way I set up pihole is:
2 pihole, setup with only the default blocking list, no extra config on the pihole or the pi

Router:

LAN DNS: 2 Pi Holes set up
LAN DNS Filter set to PiHole unfiltered / unlimited.
LAN DNS Filters set to Router and DNS set to Cloudflare

WAN : has cloudflare for WAN DNS in 1 slot (otherwise the router clock does not work)

Guest Network set to isolate, and that stops them from accessing the pihole DNS servers ...

The above config worked well on RT-AC68U .....

Why don’t you let your family members decide if they want ad-blocking or not? Even default Pi-hole block lists are too much sometimes. The pages structure look broken, some blocked tracking cookies force you to do 2-step verification, relevant advertisement links in Google search results stop working, no effective YouTube ad-blocking, etc. uBlock Origin works much better and you can turn it off in just one click. Pi-hole is good, but a bit yesterday tech in effective ad-blocking. What’s your way to enforce DNS on DOH requests, for example?

Why don’t you let your family members decide if they want ad-blocking or not? Even default Pi-hole block lists are too much sometimes. The pages structure look broken, some blocked tracking cookies force you to do 2-step verification, relevant advertisement links in Google search results stop working, no effective YouTube ad-blocking, etc. uBlock Origin works much better and you can turn it off in just one click. Pi-hole is good, but a bit yesterday tech in effective ad-blocking. What’s your way to enforce DNS on DOH requests, for example?
:D don't like sleeping on the couch .....

I have been happy with pihole... and can work around limitations...

uBLock origin is good, but then I sue multiple devices and browsers , so there is issue of using it on all of them ... pihole solves the problem in once go ... ideal solution, no...but easy to use , yes...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!