What's new

DDNS problem suddenly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chrisgtl

Regular Contributor
This morning I changed the 86U name from RT-AC86U-7790 to ROUTER and now I see lots of errors in the logs

Jun 27 12:12:30 watchdog: start ddns.
Jun 27 12:12:30 rc_service: watchdog 816:notify_rc start_ddns
Jun 27 12:12:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ddns)
Jun 27 12:12:30 start_ddns: update DOMAINS.GOOGLE.COM default@domains.google.com, wan_unit 0
Jun 27 12:12:30 inadyn[21310]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jun 27 12:12:30 inadyn[21310]: Update forced for alias <my name>, new IP# <my IP>
Jun 27 12:12:30 inadyn[21310]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Jun 27 12:12:30 inadyn[21310]: [200 OK] nohost
Jun 27 12:13:00 watchdog: start ddns.
Jun 27 12:13:00 rc_service: watchdog 816:notify_rc start_ddns
Jun 27 12:13:00 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ddns)
Jun 27 12:13:00 start_ddns: update DOMAINS.GOOGLE.COM default@domains.google.com, wan_unit 0
Jun 27 12:13:00 inadyn[21343]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jun 27 12:13:00 inadyn[21343]: Update forced for alias <my name>, new IP# <my IP>
Jun 27 12:13:00 inadyn[21343]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Jun 27 12:13:00 inadyn[21343]: [200 OK] nohost

I've changed the router name back to RT-AC86U-7790 and still have this problem.

Can anoyne help me fix it?

Just registered for a free NO-IP DDNS and all is working. Entered my details for Google Domains and broken again so must be a problem their end or my ISP.....?

No idea if it's a problem with your Google Domains or Google changed their API. That response is ambiguous (200 OK = no error, yet "nohost" might indicate an error).

I opened an issue with the inadyn author, as I can't test this myself - don't have a Google domain.

https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues/256

No idea if it's a problem with your Google Domains or Google changed their API. That response is ambiguous (200 OK = no error, yet "nohost" might indicate an error).

I opened an issue with the inadyn author, as I can't test this myself - don't have a Google domain.

https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues/256

I've just been chatting to Google Domains support and they asked me to enter @.mydomainname.com into the Asus DDNS host and all is working now. Never had to add the @. bit before

Just had this email from Google Domains support team.

Thank you for contacting Google Domains.

I understand you need to have your domain working via Dynamic DNS set up.

We are currently experiencing issues with setting up Dynamic DNS but our Technical team is already working on having this fixed. As a workaround, you can change your API records using this values: https://username:password@domains.google.com/nic/update?hostname=@.mydomain.com&myip=1.2.3.4

Can you post the content of your inadyn.conf config file (just replacing username and password with placeholders)? The inadyn author would like to see a working example, for documentation.

Can you post the content of your inadyn.conf config file (just replacing username and password with placeholders)? The inadyn author would like to see a working example, for documentation.

If you send me instructions on how I do this then I'd be happy to help.

Thanks. Is your DDNS usual hostname something like "hostname.mydomain.com", or did you just specify the domain?

My DDNS is just my domain > abcd.com

Gotcha, thanks.

The @ is probably to tell Google that you want to update the "root" entry - this is typically represented by an @ in various DNS servers. I assume a typical configuration where the user wanted to use home.mydomain.com for DDNS purposes would use home.mydomain.com instead of @.mydomain.com.

Just setup a new DDNS record for home.mydomain.com

All working like this.

iterations = 1
provider default@domains.google.com {
hostname = home.mydomain.com
username = "username"
password = "password"
checkip-command = "/bin/nvram get wan0_ipaddr"
}

Thanks, that confirms my theory about your need of the @ hostname.

I'm having similar issue, getting this in logs:
Code:
Dec 04 14:16:59 *.com inadyn Update forced for alias *.com, new IP# xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Dec 04 14:16:59 *.com inadyn Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Dec 04 14:16:59 *.com inadyn [200 OK] nohost

Here is my inadyn.conf:
Code:
iterations = 1
provider default@no-ip.com {
hostname = op3s.com
username = "user"
password = "password"
wildcard = true
}

I'm having similar issue, getting this in logs:
Code:
Dec 04 14:16:59 *.com inadyn Update forced for alias *.com, new IP# xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Dec 04 14:16:59 *.com inadyn Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Dec 04 14:16:59 *.com inadyn [200 OK] nohost

Here is my inadyn.conf:
Code:
iterations = 1
provider default@no-ip.com {
hostname = op3s.com
username = "user"
password = "password"
wildcard = true
}

Make sure you have a FQDN for your host, not just the domain. Also, make sure your account hasn't expired (no-ip expires if you use the free service and do not revalidate every 30 days).

Make sure you have a FQDN for your host, not just the domain.
I have purchased the domain through noip.com.
upload_2019-12-5_8-38-37.png

But you have to select a hostname, and configure the DDNS client to use the FQDN - you cannot directly update a domain. I.e., it must be something like myhome.mydomain.com, not just mydomain.com.