What's new

DDNS update not working on 388.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJLaz

Occasional Visitor
I noticed after upgrading to 388.1 on my RT-AX88U, DDNS updates with namecheap no longer seem to be working. I noticed it when I happened to reboot my router the other day, the WAN IP changed but it was never updated. I verified if I manually update the IP address on namecheap my router is reachable again. I also verified I could successfully update the record using a standalone utility on my PC that namecheap provides, so I do not believe there is an issue on their end.

The router seems to think it could successfully register.
1675389623660.png

the logs reflect this too:
Feb 2 20:34:43 ddns: update WWW.NAMECHEAP.COM namecheap, wan_unit 0
Feb 2 20:34:43 disk_monitor: be idle
Feb 2 20:34:43 ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Feb 2 20:34:43 ddns: Start Inadyn(10).
Feb 2 20:34:43 inadyn[3171]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Feb 2 20:34:43 inadyn[3171]: Update forced for alias xxx, new IP# xxx
Feb 2 20:34:43 inadyn[3171]: Updating cache for xxx

I already tried a factory reset on the router, and the issue has occurred again since doing that, so seems to be a more persistent problem.

Is this a known issue? I searched the forum but did not see any reports of this on the latest firmware.

Either you have IPv6 updates enabled or it must be external to the router, possibly the DDNS provider themselves. I have no problems with noip.

Last edited:
As far as I can see (just looking at my RT-AX88U) DDNS will only work with IPv6 Update set to On (in DDNS) if it can retrieve the IPV6 WAN address. If it cannot do this then it will fail completely for IPv6 and IPv4. As noted above, the easiest fix is to set IPv6 Update set to Off

Even if DDNS provider and ISP both support IPv6 it may still fail. In my case (and yours may be different) the problem was that the WAN IPv6 address was not being picked up by the DDNS script (for an AX88U it was looking on eth0). You can check this by SSH onto the router and running ifconfig {interface}. In my case the WAN address was only picked up on br0 and so I added a script to work around this.

It also works fine on my AX86U.
That is not exactly the truth. I am running AX86U with Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 and have the same problem as the person who started the thread. To add to it, it removes every now and then my client uid and password, so when the user disconnects for whatever reason from OpenVPN server, they can't connect again until I re-add the UID/password. There is definitely a bug in the code, and it has been present few releases back, and I had to time nor care to track it till now. I got fed up today re-adding the user credentials into my VPN config.

As far as I can see (just looking at my RT-AX88U) DDNS will only work with IPv6 Update set to On (in DDNS) if it can retrieve the IPV6 WAN address. If it cannot do this then it will fail completely for IPv6 and IPv4. As noted above, the easiest fix is to set IPv6 Update set to Off

Even if DDNS provider and ISP both support IPv6 it may still fail. In my case (and yours may be different) the problem was that the WAN IPv6 address was not being picked up by the DDNS script (for an AX88U it was looking on eth0). You can check this by SSH onto the router and running ifconfig {interface}. In my case the WAN address was only picked up on br0 and so I added a script to work around this.
Same is how I got my "fixed" by disabling the "IPv6 Update"...the firmware has some serious code issues.

I'm using an RT-AX86U not an RT-AX88U but this is still a useful post for me. Thanks.
I have no problems using ASUS IPv4 and IPv6 DDNS via WebUI currently, so of course IPv6 Update is set to On in my case.
However, in an early post (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...all-supported-wifi-6-models.82084/post-823969) I'd mentioned that my previous ability, to update multiple DDNS services (ASUS and No IP in my case) had ceased. Having run ifconfig without specifying the {interface} part, so that ALL interface values are returned, I see that br0 is correctly utilising the Router's LAN details (IPV4 and IPv6) that etc0 through to eth7 all appear correct, that it's the same for lo and lo:0 and... that ppp0 is actually utilising both the WAN inet addr (IPv4) and inet6 addr (IPv6). So, I'm going to now revisit the script(s) I'd created (see previous post) & re-check to see if it's the same ((wrong interface or related / similar) cause for the failures that I suffer, when attempting to update multiple DDNS services.

Somehow I did not see all the responses to my thread. Interesting to see others having this issue (and some not). Found my ISP had assigned a new IP to my router overnight, and sure enough DDNS has failed to update again, so nothing reachable this morning. @archiel @sipankh as far as I can tell I have IPv6 disabled, so perhaps not related for my setup? Is this the setting you are referring to?
1678633532654.png

I very much need to resolve this as I cannot have my gateway unreachable. Manually updating my namecheap DNS records is not a long-term option.

Edit: I tried enabling IPv6 to "native", and this seemed to allow the router to pick up an IPv6 address from the ISP. I then tried to change DDNS to both IPv6 Update "Yes" and "No". With "Yes" it could never register with namecheap, just sat with status "processing". With "No" it can register again, but still the IPv4 address will not update. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
I don't think it is an option for me. My domain is registered with namecheap, so switching it to asus would require me to change the domain name wouldn't it? I need my domain to be reachable.

I don't think it is an option for me. My domain is registered with namecheap, so switching it to asus would require me to change the domain name wouldn't it? I need my domain to be reachable.
No, you CNAME from namecheap to your asuscomm.com DDNS name.