What's new

DDWRT r27506 - released 7-9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
This release is excellent. Just loaded a few hours ago and everything is running
so much better that the Asus firmware.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/asus-rt-ac87u/

Give this version a try. I will report back as time goes.....

CC

This release is excellent. Just loaded a few hours ago and everything is running
so much better that the Asus firmware.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/asus-rt-ac87u/

Give this version a try. I will report back as time goes.....

CC

Excellent news I will try this tonight.

Can you just simply flash the firmware file? Did you do a hard reset with the WPS button after the flash?

Assuming you can simply just flash back the original Asus image or Merlin to go back...

Seems about the same to me.

Took a little while to re-familiarise myself with dd-wrt, but after a short period I'm still seeing 5Ghz issues. It does appear however that my devices seem to prefer the 2.4Ghz radio on this firmware...

It's a nice firmware, but I think there's still issues with the quantenna side of things which hopefully will improve soon.

Excellent news I will try this tonight.

Can you just simply flash the firmware file? Did you do a hard reset with the WPS button after the flash?

Assuming you can simply just flash back the original Asus image or Merlin to go back...
Use the ASUS firmware restoration utility.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Seems about the same to me.

Took a little while to re-familiarise myself with dd-wrt, but after a short period I'm still seeing 5Ghz issues. It does appear however that my devices seem to prefer the 2.4Ghz radio on this firmware...

It's a nice firmware, but I think there's still issues with the quantenna side of things which hopefully will improve soon.

I have had zero issues on the 5 ghz band. I have connecting 2 Macbook Pro's, 4 iPads, 3 iphones, 3 PC's, an Epson wireless Printer, OPPO 103 and a SGS6 Android. All perfect.

My Galaxy S6 was getting killed with battery life on 5 GHZ channel with the Asus firmware. With DDWRT its back to normal.

I also have a WD 2TB HD attached to the USB 3.0 port. Tried streaming to my OPPO with the Asus firmware and the 4K video shot with my Galaxy S6 was laggy as hell. Just retried the same stream with the DDWT and its smooth as silk.

After installing the firmware I used the WPS reset, then the reset to factory defaults from within the DDWRT firmware.

I was having a touch of trouble with my one PC as soon as I updated the PC drivers the trouble disappeared.

My setup is basically:
2.4 GHZ
40 wide
channel 6
upper

preamble set to short

5.0 GHZ
80 wide
upper upper

preamble set to short

If you did not do the proper resets after the flash then retry. Also make sure your computer is running the latest driver.

CC

Last edited:
Can you tell me the Linux kernel version in this release? I have wanted to install some software that requires Open vSwitch. Unfortunately, the 10+ year old kernel (2.4) provided by Broadcom and Asus does not support this. I tried to build some kernel modules - much too much effort for the vintage kernel in Asuswrt...

Can you tell me the Linux kernel version in this release? I have wanted to install some software that requires Open vSwitch. Unfortunately, the 10+ year old kernel (2.4) provided by Broadcom and Asus does not support this. I tried to build some kernel modules - much too much effort for the vintage kernel in Asuswrt...

I believe it runs linux kernel 3.11...

I have had zero issues on the 5 ghz band. I have connecting 2 Macbook Pro's, 4 iPads, 3 iphones, 3 PC's, an Epson wireless Printer, OPPO 103 and a SGS6 Android. All perfect.

My Galaxy S6 was getting killed with battery life on 5 GHZ channel with the Asus firmware. With DDWRT its back to normal.

I also have a WD 2TB HD attached to the USB 3.0 port. Tried streaming to my OPPO with the Asus firmware and the 4K video shot with my Galaxy S6 was laggy as hell. Just retried the same stream with the DDWT and its smooth as silk.

After installing the firmware I used the WPS reset, then the reset to factory defaults from within the DDWRT firmware.

I was having a touch of trouble with my one PC as soon as I updated the PC drivers the trouble disappeared.

My setup is basically:
2.4 GHZ
40 wide
channel 6
upper

preamble set to short

5.0 GHZ
80 wide
upper upper

preamble set to short

If you did not do the proper resets after the flash then retry. Also make sure your computer is running the latest driver.

CC

My setup is basically identical, and yes I performed the same resets.

Two issues basically:

a) Wireless devices seem to prefer connecting to the 2.4Ghz radio, you can see this in the wireless status page.
b) Unable to set the 5Ghz channel in this firmware which is annoying

I found the firmware works quite well but some of that is most likely due to point a) as most of the wireless issues seem to be related to the 5Ghz side of things. Probably needs some more testing but for me the 5Ghz is still not perfect for all devices.

I'm currently running Merlin's firmware. Is it true that WiFi will take a performance hit when going with a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT, due to it using open source drivers?

I'm currently running Merlin's firmware. Is it true that WiFi will take a performance hit when going with a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT, due to it using open source drivers?

DD-WRT does not use open source drivers, it uses the same proprietary drivers from Broadcom/Quantenna. Where you might see a performance penalty however is in their lack of support for CTF, which means your WAN speed will be limited to around 350-400 Mbps.

DD-WRT does not use open source drivers, it uses the same proprietary drivers from Broadcom/Quantenna. Where you might see a performance penalty however is in their lack of support for CTF, which means your WAN speed will be limited to around 350-400 Mbps.
Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible for DD-WRT to support CTF if the developers chose to do so at some point?

Kernel Version
Linux 3.10.83 #4391 SMP Thu Jul 9 04:55:23 CEST 2015 armv7l

CC

Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible for DD-WRT to support CTF if the developers chose to do so at some point?

No. CTF is totally closed source - you have to actually ask Broadcom to compile it for you, even if you are company such as Asus or Netgear - nobody outside of Broadcom has its source code. I also highly doubt that Broadcom would have it work on any kernel other than the one they officially support in their SDK (which means 2.6.36 at this time).

DD-WRT devs tried to implement their own open-source alternative (DTM), but it was too unstable, so development was temporarily halted due to lack of time to fully debug it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!