What's new

Decrypting configuration backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

Hi All.

I have updated from RT-AC66U to RT-AX86U. Unfortunately I forgot to write down all DHCP clients with assigning MAC to corresponding IP.
Is it possible to extract it from old RT-AC66U cfg file with configuration backup? Yes, it was made without flag to make it decrypted, but possibly there is a way to decrypt it manually when admin password for router is known?

RT-AC66U, the MIPS model? I thought you previously posted you were using an RT-AC68U? I believe the format of the relevant NVRAM variables has changed compared to that very old model's firmware.

RT-AC66U, the MIPS model? I thought you previously posted you were using an RT-AC68U? I believe the format of the relevant NVRAM variables has changed compared to that very old model's firmware.
I am pleased you remember me :)
However we are talking now exactly about RT-AC66U.
I know the format is different but I don't want to apply backup from one model to another - I just want to open this file and parse MAC-IP data manually as text if it's possible.

Ooh. That's a handy tool! I wish I'd know about it a few months ago.

One thing to be aware of: passwords are displayed in plain text. That's very handy in some situations; a bit dangerous in others.

Ooh. That's a handy tool! I wish I'd know about it a few months ago.

One thing to be aware of: passwords are displayed in plain text. That's very handy in some situations; a bit dangerous in others.
Newer firmware versions now encrypts them.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!