1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Default message log level Log only messages more urgent than settings

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by JS_racer, Dec 18, 2018.

1. JS_racer

JS_racer Occasional Visitor

say, what are people using here ??
    Default message log level
    Log only messages more urgent than

my log was full of dhcp, and everything else.

what would be recommended to get enough information, but still be easy to check for issues ??
    thanks much for the time

2. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

I have always found Syslogs to provide important information but capturing all information provides entries that you know about but aren't important because you know the cause which is not real issue. Then if you try to change the severity of what's posted, you miss important stuff. It's a no win. This is true of most products, not just ASUS. Here is my non-issue which is caused by AppleTV in sleep mode"
    Dec 18 09:33:42 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
    Dec 18 09:33:44 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
    Dec 18 09:34:04 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
    Dec 18 09:34:07 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
    Dec 18 09:39:08 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
    Dec 18 09:39:11 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
    Dec 18 09:39:30 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link DOWN.
    Dec 18 09:39:33 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex​
    Then you get entries that are as cryptic as heck.

Probably the best solution is to log everything and send the log to another device for parsing. No I didn't do that.

3. JS_racer

JS_racer Occasional Visitor

yep, i had seen that before, was good information.
    say, what are your settings ?? thanks (not sure what default was, and is more urgent than information a good compromise?)

4. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

I have it set for "Info"

JS_racer likes this.
  5. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

If that's the thing that's particularly bothering you I believe there's a menu option to hide DHCP queries.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

upload_2018-12-18_11-26-0.png

Jack Yaz likes this.