What's new

Defending against MITM attack

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

exus69

New Around Here
If I use the latest version of Firefox with "HTTPS Everywhere" addon and if the sites that I visit provide HTTPS will I be still vulnerable to any MITM attack like sslstrip from my LAN??

Awaiting your replies.

Download this run it and post its log.

DON'T

I recommend against running any unsolicited .exe

What is this executable going to do to recognize a man in the middle attack?

Why Now? This is an older thread.

All seems rather dodgey, when there is a doubt, there is no doubt....

DON'T

I recommend against running any unsolicited .exe

What is this executable going to do to recognize a man in the middle attack?

Why Now? This is an older thread.

All seems rather dodgey, when there is a doubt, there is no doubt....

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.98.9
Windows XP Service Pack 3
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:
Windows Firewall Enabled!
AVG Free 8.5

Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
HijackThis 2.0.2
Java Web Start
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_02
Adobe Flash Player 10
Adobe Reader 7.0.9
Out of date Adobe Reader installed!
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent
AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgtray.exe
AVG avgrsx.exe
AVG avgnsx.exe
AVG avgemc.exe
AVG avgemc.exe

DNS Vulnerability Check:
GREAT! (Not vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning)

`````````End of Log```````````
http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/notes.html
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=22753
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic228087.html
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.
Please post the contents of that document.

Proper research before trying to discredit someone who like you use his spare time to assist others
http://www.overclock.net/networking-security/1029025-malware-removal-guide.html#links

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan...22f28538d9538b6578933ade7ebe348743-1311650621

File looks a little dodgy. False positives are possible, especially when dealing with anti-malware products. Either way, agree with GregN. Software does not address OP's issue.

http://camas.comodo.com/cgi-bin/sub...888ba8723aadd11ca21140c445f286ebf20c3d88191b0
online analyzers are behaviour scanners not signatures

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan...9df8efeb9e8750e19d1e1033ce5f7aa0d2-1310574704
Thats for combofix

On the day you join, you post a one-line message.

In a thread that last saw a post three months ago.

The message links directly to an executable, not a web site.

You tell folks to blindly run this unknown executable.

You provide no context, or any explanation on how this download solves the topic of the thread.

If that isn't the very definition of dodgy, then what is?

Last edited:
On the day you join, you post a one-line message.

In a thread that last saw a post three months ago.

The message links directly to an executable, not a web site.

You tell folks to blindly run this unknown executable.

You provide no context, or any explanation on how this download solves the topic of the thread.

If that isn't the very definition of dodgy, then what is?

I apologize for the LATE reply. Im typing with one hand at the moment because I injured my right arm and couldnt be active everywhere like I use to be. I did say run it and post the log.
Next time just use a link checker simple. Sandboxie and BSA is another good analyzer. But you gave bad feedback on a application which you have never used or have no knowledge about. Which is not the right way to go. Either test it or do some research on it. Theres a very good reason I tell people to run that app
ADOBE and JAVA

I apologize for the LATE reply. Im typing with one hand at the moment because I injured my right arm and couldnt be active everywhere like I use to be. I did say run it and post the log.
Next time just use a link checker simple. Sandboxie and BSA is another good analyzer. But you gave bad feedback on a application which you have never used or have no knowledge about. Which is not the right way to go. Either test it or do some research on it. Theres a very good reason I tell people to run that app
ADOBE and JAVA

You seem to misunderstand, my feedback had nothing to do with the application. It was your sparse post that I took issue with.

Last edited:
You seem to misunderstand, my feedback had nothing to do with the application. It was your sparse post that I took issue with.

What you mean sparse? Asking someone to post a log to show them where theyre security holes are?

What you mean sparse? Asking someone to post a log to show them where theyre security holes are?

Sparse: not rich, lacking detail, short.

You did not explain why someone should execute the link, or how it helped defend against a Man in the Middle attack.

Your post lacked critical information that would lend it credibility, instead it looked dodgy, suspect.

The original poster, the person you were asking, went away more than three months ago.

Last edited:
Sparse: not rich, lacking detail, short.

You did not explain why someone should execute the link, or how it helped defend against a Man in the Middle attack.

Your post lacked critical information that would lend it credibility, instead it looked dodgy, suspect.

The original poster, the person you were asking, went away more than three months ago.

Can't explain it without a log. Forget when the poster left or not. Its about making use of a simple link checker rather than to guess if its bad or not. Unfortunately you did the latter

This is probably a waste of time, but I'll try one more time.

As a part time job, some 15 years ago, I used to work in book stores and video stores - this was besides a job in the IT industry.

At the video store, part of my job was recommending movies to folks - one winter afternoon, running late, I came in and immediately tried to assist a woman - her response was dramatic, "Get the hell away from me!" Later, on her way out, she apologized.

You see, I still had my winter coat on, I looked like another customer, not an employee there to help.

Such things in the movies, and in semiotics, are called "signifiers" - they tell us the set and setting of a scene (for example, a man sitting at a bar alone drinking his drink, chairs upside down on the tables behind him, the lights turned up, the sound of tinkling racks of glasses - the bar is closing )

What does this have to do with you? On the day you join - you have no history here, you post to a three month old fallow thread, that folks should run a blind executable, without context or explanation.

All of the indications, signifiers, pointed towards your post being highly questionable. And you take offense that some other member, actually members, waved folks off from following your terse instructions?

Like your posts in other threads, in particular in the pfSense thread, where you posted just the line "firewall---->proxy---->network", you fail to explain enough so that folks can understand your meaning, into that ambiguity they project questions and conclusions about you.

You really shouldn't be surprised.

When posting, I'd recommend explaining why you are posting, what is it that the post furthers? In which way does it explicitly help?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!