What's new

Dell Inspiron 1520 NIC AND Router Advice...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coldengrey

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Need advice and help. Likely need some hand holding, I'm NOT sure what the bottlenecks and speed max's are for different interfaces; ie Express Card, internal pcie OEM NIC (Even possible to swap out?)..

Recently ordered an Asus RT-AC68U Router. I know that there are minimal returns vs. the AC66U (or even n66u until I buy a new laptop soon w ac..)other than extra USB 3.0, which I plan to use.

1) At this point, I have only wifi N clients.
My laptop is way old and only has the oem stock internal 2.4G NIC...

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520
Currently:
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Only USB 2.0

Can anyone tell me what my best bet would be for upgrading my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop's Network Card?

A) Is it possible/optimal to swap out the oem internal NIC with a faster dual band N?
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

B) Possible to upgrade USB 2,0 to Usb 3.0?

C) Express Card Slot of use for either NIC
AND/OR USB 3.0 addition? Bottleneck or not ideal?

D) Recommend best product for whichever interface compatible and ideal?
*** Any that are compatible and take advantage of Asus RT-AC68U
increase from 400MBs to 6ooMB/s (Any that support Turbo QAM?
---

2) Am I totally falling for the marketing and naively drinking overpriced kool-aid by even bothering with an AC1900 router?

Would I be better off with an n900 Asus RT-n66u?
Hate to invest in router and not at least have AC for soon to be new laptop..

If AC at all, would you guys/gals reccommend an AC1750 or AC1900?
Asus RT-AC66 or AC68???

Thanks everybody for any and all input as well as sharing your wisdom with me!!!!

KGB7, I'll be damned - unless intel has a major typo or mixed up it's products, it does appear my NIC supports 5g as well...

Must be capible via a firmware update or something!?
Said I was using latest firmware, will triple check.

Have had that NIC (oem orig) since well before there was even 5g band I think.
Have NEVER seen a 5g Ssid available either-
But also had no clue dual Band function was ugradeable via Firmware!

Btw, I have an Asus RT-N66u currently, but pulled trigger on an exchange for open box
*Asus RT-68u ($175) could not pass up AC68u for only $50 more!

I also have a 2.4g only D-Link DIR655 router I'll probably use as an extender or something for 2.4g clients in whole house wifi make over in process of doing..
*** Any chance D-Link DIR 655 also has dual band N 5g channel available now via Firmware update, too, like my laptop Intel NIC???

-----
So I cannot add usb 3.0 to laptop with an Express Card add-on?
Is interface Express Card interface not conducive w added speed bottleneck vs Usb 2.0??

There's also no Express Card Add-On NIC that is faster than integrated Intel Nic (pcie?) that would take advantage of 3x3 signal or compatible with Asus' 600mbs wifi N (vs normal 400mbs n max?)

Can a Dell Laptop swap out internal Nic's?
Is Express Card Interface slower than needed for adding USB 3.0 w Express Card USB 3.0??

Thanks you and please feel free to add other opinions and/or info to discussion everybody; I appreciate it - still learning and need all the help I can get!!!

Yes you can add express card, but i doubt you will see the benefit. I thought you wanted to swap internal usb2.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XW1YY4/?tag=snbforums-20

There is no firmware upgrade for your wifi NIC to get 5.Ghz. Its done at hardware level at the factory. So if your NIC doesnt have it, then there is nothing you can do.
Router dir655 doesnt have 5Ghz band. Its a separate wifi chip that was never installed in to your router.

Im going to skip all the questions and get straight to the point. Dont waist anymore money on your old laptop and get a new one.

While a new laptop might not be a bad idea, there is no guarantee that the new model will have a better wireless card inside. Dual band, three antenna and three stream meaning up to a 450Mbps connection rate.

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm

The only card worth upgrading to would be the Intel AC7260 and paired with an RT-AC68U, even though the OP would use only 2 of his 3 antenna in the laptop he has now; it will still be faster than any N class wireless card he can buy.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49056

Now, whether the old laptop has the performance to take advantage of both of the new wireless network toys is another story. ;)

While a new laptop might not be a bad idea, there is no guarantee that the new model will have a better wireless card inside. Dual band, three antenna and three stream meaning up to a 450Mbps connection rate.

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm

The only card worth upgrading to would be the Intel AC7260 and paired with an RT-AC68U, even though the OP would use only 2 of his 3 antenna in the laptop he has now; it will still be faster than any N class wireless card he can buy.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49056

Now, whether the old laptop has the performance to take advantage of both of the new wireless network toys is another story. ;)

No drivers for WinXP for AC7260.

Plus PCI lane for NIC might be tied in to USB lanes, or it could be connected to PCIe 1.1. If his laptop has Intel GM965 Express Chipset. At the end of the day, his laptop will choke before it will reach half the speed of AC bandwidth.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!