What's new

Determine WPA connection type

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eagctx

New Around Here
Is there a way to reveal the WPA level that devices are connecting with?

I was able to connect my notebook running Windows 10 at WPA3, and know that because Windows tells you. But my Iphone/Ipads don't tell you.

Oh, and if it's relevant, I'm operating in AP mode only.

Last edited:

I was able to connect my notebook running Windows 10 at WPA3, and know that because Windows tells you. But my Iphone/Ipads don't tell you.

If iPhone has some tools similar like this app you should be able to see it
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

Some examples but I haven't checked the details
https://www.netspotapp.com/wifi-analyzer-apps-for-ios.html
b242866888ba151b596ae2313154e943.jpg

The free program WiFi Explorer Lite will show you this info.

Sorry, a few more details, items.

One, swejuggalo, thanks for the direction. However, the app you pointed me to, doesn't show the WPA connection type. A little further googling, it appears that this information is not available from within IOS.

bluzfanmr1, don't own a MAC. Pure Window environment, other than mine and my wife's IOS devices. I don't see a windows version of WiFi Explorer.

I'll probably start looking for an app like WiFi Explorer for Windows. I know ISSIDER doesn't show me WPA connection types, it's what I have now.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize that it was Mac only.

One, swejuggalo, thanks for the direction. However, the app you pointed me to, doesn't show the WPA connection type. A little further googling, it appears that this information is not available from within IOS.

bluzfanmr1, don't own a MAC. Pure Window environment, other than mine and my wife's IOS devices. I don't see a windows version of WiFi Explorer.

I'll probably start looking for an app like WiFi Explorer for Windows. I know ISSIDER doesn't show me WPA connection types, it's what I have now.

On my RT-AX88U WPA3 is defined like this
9df280b3915ebf103e7f3481b940f3f1.jpg

As a worst case... Make main network only WPA3 for a moment and try all devices if they connect.
I only use WPA3.
I use a WPA2/WPA3 guest network without intranet access for guests and retro devices that does not support WPA3.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!