What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for @RMerlin, will 388 be using a newer version of OpenSSL than the version 1.1.1 used on the current 386.x branch?
No, it's still 1.1.1, which is an LTS release that's still current and actively maintained.

Will you also be able to build for the firstborn of the HND platform? (ac86u)
I have no 388 GPL for the RT-AC86U or GT-AC2900.

Merlin I see 2 files in the latest zip,

GT-AXE11000_388.1_alpha1_rog-g5fb71044da_pureubi
GT-AXE11000_388.1_alpha1-g5fb71044da_pureubi

What is the difference? Which one should I install?

CC
_rog is an experimental build with the original ROG UI.

I'm running WireGuard on my AC86U right now...and with Flow Cache enabled! I believe the AC86U is the only model that allows Flow Cache with WireGuard if I'm not mistaken.
Currently RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U have working fw-marks to bypass NAT HW-acceleration. presumably also their GT- counterparts (GT-AC2900, GT-AX11000). The marks allow for these routers to use Wireguard with FlowCache enabled. It does prevent Wireguard from affecting WAN speed, but does not give any gain in Wireguard speed since these packages will still be bottlenecked by router capability to do SW-NAT.

I believe that ASUS are not using these marks for compatibility reasons. But they are used in the Wireguard Addons.

I'm running WireGuard on my AC86U right now...and with Flow Cache enabled! I believe the AC86U is the only model that allows Flow Cache with WireGuard if I'm not mistaken.
I'm happy for it. So tell me, what installation method did you adopt to put WG on ac86u?

I'm happy for it. So tell me, what installation method did you adopt to put WG on ac86u?
AMTM has a Wireguard session manager, and there is a long running post in the addon section of this forum to do with Wireguard setup as well, these were both available before this Wireguard firmware was released.

View attachment 45066

Router is on non-ROG fw, yet ROG gui is visible. I have reinstalled fw twice and rebooted additional times. I will check router later to verify gui issue has subsided. Weird o_O
EDIT:
Cleared cache, etc prior to posting, thought about a reset, but did another Fresh Dirty Upgrade with non ROG fw, left alone 10 mins and rebooted, and all has been Good As Usual.
Lesson Learned I Still Hate ROG GUI.
ALPHA is working well in the Griswald Environment.

Well, no new updates for Alpha or Beta.
It means an actual time to check Netflix now.... :p

Well, no new updates for Alpha or Beta.
It means an actual time to check Netflix now.... :p

Merlin is waiting on GPL for different models before going into Beta. I suspect that will be at least another week but who knows.

Well, a little disturbing thing.
Cold room (ish..) of about 19c CPU temp is 70-71c, I just not realize that it is that way since last FW.
Though AX56U is 55-56C same as like FW.

Any specific reason it should be that way?
Of course nothing blocks the airway to breeze the router.

Well, a little disturbing thing.
Cold room (ish..) of about 19c CPU temp is 70-71c, I just not realize that it is that way since last FW.
71C is perfectly normal, that CPU can go up to 100C.

Now that's an "elephant in the room" comment. Seems to suggest that 386 is the end-of-the-line for AC routers, perhaps with the exception of the AC68U_v4.
No, it just means what I wrote: I don't have any info to share at this time. Specifically because Asus themselves haven't decided yet, so they don't have anything to share with me either.

You are completely missing the point. When Wireguard runs on a desktop, its a VPN client, no matter how fast. When Wireguard runs in a router, it becomes virtual-server servicing multiple clients on that router/home network, using VPN Director. Different value propositions entirely.
Agree to disagree. It is amazing how much fast er wireguard is on a x86/64 pc running openwrt servicing clients. Running the same on an ARM router is not comparable by a long shot.

Can somebody please tell me how to setup a wireguard client at android-phone with native IPv6?
Router has got a static IPv6 on wan side.
With ovpn it´s easy to change settings of clientcertificate but I don.t get that right with wireguard-client settings on an android-phone.

Agree to disagree. It is amazing how much fast er wireguard is on a x86/64 pc running openwrt servicing clients. Running the same on an ARM router is not comparable by a long shot.
VPN server vs. VPN client are two different things. "Fast" from the perspective of a server servicing multiple clients (i.e. multiple phones, tablets, laptops) from the router without each having VPN clients running, vs. a single client desktop's singular speed with its own client - are not comparable metrics by any shot. Not even talking about the same concept.

Problems with my ISPs routing servers last night meant I had WiFi running from my phone's hotspot. As others (including @Clark Griswald ) have the Alpha running on the GT-AX6000, I thought I'd give it a try. Tried with the ROG version - it still looks terrible, so went to the regular Merlin Alpha (dirty installs throughout). Cleared the browser caches and everything looks good - zero issues so far!

VPN server vs. VPN client are two different things. "Fast" from the perspective of a server servicing multiple clients (i.e. multiple phones, tablets, laptops) from the router without each having VPN clients running, vs. a single client desktop's singular speed with its own client - are not comparable metrics by any shot. Not even talking about the same concept.
Correct, conceptually different. Glad we are on the same page at first I thought you were off on some tangent about " When Wireguard runs on a desktop, its a VPN client, no matter how fast." When in fact we were talking about PC that has been converted to an openwrt router that services 50+ clients with way faster processing power. When you compare that to running wireguard on a router that has a cpu no faster than that of what is in a cellphone, we are talking leagues apart by definition.

Flashed the latest alphas onto my AX88U and AX58U with no issues so far, will report back if anything changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!