What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see the AX86U Pro is supported!

Might be my AC86U replacement?

Does anyone know when this model will be available in Europe?

I see no issue with RT-AC86U. It’s an HND hardware router.
Based on an older version of the HND platform however, so there might be a Broadcom-related element to their decision. Or they wanted to prevent user confusion by drawing a more clear line, as the average consumer has no idea what HND is, or even if their router has a Broadcom, Qualcomm or Transmeta CPU.

Well there be a test version for the ax86u . Thanks
No GPL code is available for that model yet, so I don't know when it will be supported.

What are you talking about? As I've said, the devices are not EOL. They still sell, and they still get firmware updates. They just won't get new features, which for a 7 years old device is nothing unusual. Most manufacturers never add new features to existing products, while Asus gave people a ton of new features over the past 7 years.

These older routers are running a very old Linux kernel that lacks support for some of the newer features, and their nvram is too limited to handle the additional settings. The RT-AC68U for instance is already running too short on available nvram even with 386 features. And the RT-AC68U is an 8 years old device by now. Nothing planned about its obsolescence, it's simply showing its age in terms of hardware.
Completely agree. I cant even get a working clock in my 2007 Acura MDX because Honda/Acura decided that the software couldn't be updated to fix it earlier this year. There is a cost/benefit for a company to continue supporting products and at some point the technology becomes obsolete. Obsolete doesn't mean it stops working, it just means you don't have the latest and greatest features, etc.

Based on an older version of the HND platform however, so there might be a Broadcom-related element to their decision. Or they wanted to prevent user confusion by drawing a more clear line, as the average consumer has no idea what HND is, or even if their router has a Broadcom, Qualcomm or Transmeta CPU.

No GPL code is available for that model yet, so I don't know when it will be supported.

Dont mess with Merlin and his HND, like always ;)

Based on an older version of the HND platform however, so there might be a Broadcom-related element to their decision.

Most likely marketing-related element. What was made available in 388 works just fine in your Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

I guess the gt-ax11000 won't get an official 388 update as I don't see it listed on the Asus page showing the new asuswrt2022 features... However if merlin gives us a 388 update will we get the updated parental features and increased notification support?

Hello.
No Fullcone NAT on GT-AX6000_388.1_alpha1-g5fb71044da.
I have a public IPv4 adress.I have select Fullcone NAT in WAN settings and turn off the firewalls in the router and Windows OS.But It has no effect.Still no Fullcone NAT.
Thanks.
nat1.png

nat2.png

I guess the gt-ax11000 won't get an official 388 update as I don't see it listed on the Asus page showing the new asuswrt2022 features.
That page only lists models that are already available. Give them time, there's a lot of models to test and release, it takes time.

However if merlin gives us a 388 update will we get the updated parental features and increased notification support?
My code is based off Asus' own code, so that model will get the same features as every other models on the same codebase.

WAN settings and turn off the firewalls
Don't. NAT is a feature of the firewall.

Fullcone is currently not working on any of the HND 5.04 models due to the kernel missing Broadcom's patch to implement it. This isn't new to 388.

Last edited:
Trying my luck here.
Ax55, will it be supported?
I wish it'd.
@RMerlin

Well there be a test version for the ax86u . Thanks
Didn’t ASUS already provide 388 beta versions for the RT-AX86U? I wonder what they will provide RMerlin.

Didn’t ASUS already provide 388 beta versions for the RT-AX86U? I wonder what they will provide RMerlin.
They have already released a stable version for this model, however we have to wait for RMerlin to receive and merge the code
ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

They have already released a stable version for this model, however we have to wait for RMerlin to receive and merge the code
I temp moved from Merlin to the stock and the stock firmware was actually massively improved and it was rock solid, WiFi was also better in that some devices that just randomly stopped until you toggled wifi on and off, just didn't do that and stayed connected.

Having said that, I moved back to Merlin again because DNSSEC isn't in stock and a few other bits.

Waiting game as sounds like no GPL Code passed over, albeit the longest one I think...

Nov 1 07:30:15 RT-AX88U-E770 kernel: [JFFS2 DBG] (1098) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -1850

Has anyone seen this warning since upgrading to this alpha? Is there anything I can do to correct this issue? If you know of a post that deals with this could you direct me please, to it? Thank you.

Edit: I found a couple relevant posts. It turns out it's not anything to worry about. Carry on!

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...er-these-event-log-entries.47031/#post-409970

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/jffs2.html

Last edited:
I temp moved from Merlin to the stock and the stock firmware was actually massively improved and it was rock solid, WiFi was also better in that some devices that just randomly stopped until you toggled wifi on and off, just didn't do that and stayed connected.

Having said that, I moved back to Merlin again because DNSSEC isn't in stock and a few other bits.

Waiting game as sounds like no GPL Code passed over, albeit the longest one I think...
I don't think RMerlin touches the wireless components of the fw.

Last edited:

And DNSSEC also works with the Asus standard firmware. Simply select Dot in the WAN DNS settings, for example via Cloudflare.

Why? What would Netgear or TP-Link offer you that Asus doesn't? If long term support is what you are after, you won't find anyone even close to Asus' typical support length.

And not moving to 388 does not mean going EOL. Those routers will still receive updates, despite being 7 years old in some cases. You won't find any competitor offering 7+ years of firmware updates.
Well said (RMerlin), Asus provides excellent long term support for not only their routers but almost all of their other hardware offerings. I have Asus routers, motherboards, graphics cards, and will probably empty the account for a display soon. It's nice to see a bigtime tech vendor voluntarily collaborating with a normal customer enthusiastic about tweaking their commercial software/firmware for the better. This is not a normal practice. I suppose this approach has also resulted in Asus gaining more customers loyal to the brand. In the same way, imagine if Apple decided to collab with any of the people working on jailbreaks? Apple is said to have created their public beta program in response to jailbreaking, but offering betas is not the equivalent. Just a thought, but an increase in direct collaboration between vendor & consumer (competent consumers of course) could be a different approach to marketing & another route for vendors to get direct input from their customers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.