What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is because the master would need to be running before the node can connect. If they are the same router, they very well could have similar boot time length, so restoring power at the same time wouldn't work. IMO.
I use AIMesh as well and because my node is an AC68U and my master is an AX88U the boot time length is way faster for my master the AX88U, so this never happens to me.
Was not happening on earlier firmware.
Again the issue is the electric in the shop is on an entirely different line.
Shop uses L1 L2 L3 for 3 Phase The House is on line 3 (L3).
So the one in the shop is either on L1 or L2.
If the power flicks or goes out in the house the shop is not normally affected.
I use 3 ax58u. 1 main and 2 nodes. All on this latest alpha. One node is ethernet backhaul, the other is wifi. If i power the main down, the nodes will reconnect once the main is back up. Ethernet 1st. I do have them both set to manual for the backhaul and both selected to refer to the main rather than "optimized " but thats just because my layout makes that the logical choice. The reconnect can take 5 mins one the main is back up.
I turned the main off yesterday and the shop was still off this mourning.
Maybe I can try to change the settings see if it will find it.
Mine are all on latest Alphas.

ANy thoughts on a suitable replacement for my rock-steady AC68U?

It depends on your budget. From currently available models I would go for AX86S model, but only on sale price.

So at least for me it's time to move away from Asus devices.
Why? What would Netgear or TP-Link offer you that Asus doesn't? If long term support is what you are after, you won't find anyone even close to Asus' typical support length.

And not moving to 388 does not mean going EOL. Those routers will still receive updates, despite being 7 years old in some cases. You won't find any competitor offering 7+ years of firmware updates.

Why? What would Netgear or TP-Link offer you that Asus doesn't? If long term support is what you are after, you won't find anyone even close to Asus' typical support length.

And not moving to 388 does not mean going EOL. Those routers will still receive updates, despite being 7 years old in some cases. You won't find any competitor offering 7+ years of firmware updates.
Right .... it doesn't mean EOL ... yet.
I'll not move from Asus to Netgear, TP-Link or any other common SOHO network device providers.
I'm considering to invest in mini-PC and use pfsense.

You already have everything included in 388 in Asuswrt-Merlin 386 plus extras.

For now. Older branches usually fall into a maintenance mode with 1 or 2 ASUS releases a year. Whether this will happen with the AC routers is somewhat of a guess because from a practical perspective, AX is not noticeably better than AC for 98% of the people out there. However, AC was a big jump over N.

The 386 code branch has served my needs pretty well, although some things still don't work right such as the client list. Guest network with main/AP mode is also not working as it should. It would be great if things fixed in the 388 branch make their way to 386. Merlin can provide updated add-ons, which is great. I'll stick with my AC86Us for now, but if I eventually see some significant benefit to moving up to 388, I'll be purchasing some AX routers.

Abandoning ASUS devices is overreacting in my humble opinion. This EOL discussion comes up all the time...just breathe and hang on like the rest of us. This method has served me very well.

@skeal, the more skeals you get in networking, the faster you abandon home AIO routers. :)

@skeal, the more skeals you get in networking, the faster you abandon home AIO routers. :)
Sure I agree with that, but I live alone in a house right. No business needs. So I'm quite happy with the offerings of this firmware.

And not moving to 388 does not mean going EOL.
Maybe not EOL from Asus, but what about Merlin? Will you have the time to support two different branches? Not expecting you to, just asking :)

Maybe not EOL from Asus, but what about Merlin? Will you have the time to support two different branches? Not expecting you to, just asking :)
If Asus still releases GPL updates for these models, I will still support them. It might just need less frequent updates from me however.

Newest addition to the lineup:

rtax86u_pro.png

Abandoning ASUS devices is overreacting in my humble opinion. This EOL discussion comes up all the time...just breathe and hang on like the rest of us. This method has served me very well.
That's not the case here ... believe me...

I got the confirmation that AC models will not be moved to 388 - only AX models will be.
This is actually very bad. They still sell ac devices and it’s also bad environmentally this planned obsolescence.

Yeah, I wouldn't call this EOL, although it might feel like EOL because we are so used to frequent firmware updates from ASUS. As others have said, ASUS tends to support for their devices well beyond what other companies do. Switching to a different router brand or setting up a DIY home system isn't going to change this.

From my perspective, I only would upgrade to ASUS AX if ASUS doesn't pass down any useful fixes in 388 to 386.

This is actually very bad. They still sell ac devices and it’s also bad environmentally this planned obsolescence.
What are you talking about? As I've said, the devices are not EOL. They still sell, and they still get firmware updates. They just won't get new features, which for a 7 years old device is nothing unusual. Most manufacturers never add new features to existing products, while Asus gave people a ton of new features over the past 7 years.

These older routers are running a very old Linux kernel that lacks support for some of the newer features, and their nvram is too limited to handle the additional settings. The RT-AC68U for instance is already running too short on available nvram even with 386 features. And the RT-AC68U is an 8 years old device by now. Nothing planned about its obsolescence, it's simply showing its age in terms of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!