What's new

Development update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, I compared the traffic list with the client list. It is definitely a specific set of things that are missing.

1) Printers. I have three printers. One hardlined and two wireless. They are listed on client side, but do not show on traffic monitor. They are all Brother printers, but I doubt that matters in the solution.

2) Cameras. I have an IP110W camera wirelessly connected. It shows in client list and not on traffic monitor side.

3) Game adapters, TEW-647GA in this case. It acts as a remote ether bus (sort of like a switch). The devices behind it, I need to test still to see if they do show up. This one may or may not be an issue, since he has an IP, but really is kind of like another remote router.

I will try some more testing and see if I can pin down any more specifics.

The traffic monitor is only for traffic accessing the WAN, so it would make sense for printers or cameras not to show up.

Another odd thing I just noticed with the game adapters. Again this may be normal, even though it is strange. The game adapter shows up correctly with his IP and ether. The device behind it shows up with a new IP (right), but his mac is really the game adapter one, not his. Maybe it acts like a cloned router address, but I am betting his mac is really something else (or is there effectively a "sub-mac?), and maybe the client list is wrong? Way out of my knowledge sphere, but I figured I would give you all the conditions I am seeing.

This is how bridging works - nothing the router can do about it.

More data on traffic monitor symptoms. I noticed that the real time traffic monitor list had IP's again. I wrote them all down to see if I could find any pattern, which I did find. The names listed in the traffic monitor will only be names if they are "currently" in the client list. So I have devices that connect, get named my DHCP list, will land in traffic list like they should. Later if they disconnect (or maybe I click refresh on the client list?), they go back to an nameless IP (so it is getting the name from the "active" client list vs the "historical" one or the DHCP list). Is this the way it should work? Maybe add a name with "[]" around it if it is not current, but is in the DHCP list?

PS for the "some day" list: It would be nice to add sort list functions on the DHCP table. Right now it appears locked by entry date. Maybe even the client list columns.

The traffic monitor is only for traffic accessing the WAN, so it would make sense for printers or cameras not to show up.

Not sure if this question makes any sense, but could they be added as an all zeroes entry? It is nice to know what accesses the router every day, even if it is not using the WAN.

I would definitely say the client list is fixed. Shows 23 connected and they all look real.

This firmware is the first one with 100% working client list! Also the refreshing of this list works perfect

Thanks to Merlin!!
3.0.0.4.374.36_beta1-sdk5 on my RT-N66

While I am concentrating on these two areas, another really nice to have on client and/or traffic monitor, would be to flag/select/etc on "how" the device is connected. 2.4 (main or guest) and 5.0 (main or guest). That way you could determine people on the core network that should really be on guest.

I don't want to play with the 3G/4G support as I have no way of testing anything there. Sorry.

Ok up and running anyway on a AC68.... (repeater for the moment to Shibby/RT-N66 :p)

Code:
login as: admin
admin@192.168.1.6's password:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Mon Dec 23 22:13:32 UTC 2013
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# modprobe cdc_ncm
modprobe: module cdc_ncm not found in modules.dep

Thanks anyway and Happy X-mas!

More data on traffic monitor symptoms. I noticed that the real time traffic monitor list had IP's again. I wrote them all down to see if I could find any pattern, which I did find. The names listed in the traffic monitor will only be names if they are "currently" in the client list. So I have devices that connect, get named my DHCP list, will land in traffic list like they should. Later if they disconnect (or maybe I click refresh on the client list?), they go back to an nameless IP (so it is getting the name from the "active" client list vs the "historical" one or the DHCP list). Is this the way it should work?

That is correct. If a device is no longer in the client list, the router has no way of knowing what was their hostname - traffic monitoring only store IPs. The solution to this is to add DHCP reservations for these devices, so that way the router will always know what named to associate with any given IP.

Not sure if this question makes any sense, but could they be added as an all zeroes entry? It is nice to know what accesses the router every day, even if it is not using the WAN.

Devices with no traffic are still there. Click on the Advanced Filtering section and tell it to display devices that have no traffic accounted.

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Mon Dec 23 22:13:32 UTC 2013
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# modprobe cdc_ncm
modprobe: module cdc_ncm not found in modules.dep

Thanks anyway and Happy X-mas!

If all you need is the kernel module then I can see if it could be added.

I installed this then reverted to the non beta version. On my apple hardware, macbook, iPad, etc, they were having a hard time connecting to the 5GHz network.

I know that you didn't touch that stuff, but it seems that the changes to the network map affect much more than what shows up in the UI.

So for now RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 works just great for me.

Not really possible, as every manufacturer uses its own proprietary protocol there.

I was once owner of a d-link 685 and it had the function that I am asking for. When I was connecting my scanner for the first time in the USB it asked for the driver via a program on the computer and this program had to run for using the scanner afterwards but it was via my wife.

Gedesby

Devices with no traffic are still there. Click on the Advanced Filtering section and tell it to display devices that have no traffic accounted.

If I understand you, selecting yes, would also display printers and cameras with no WAN access, since they are connected but have no traffic or is this two different things? I hate to be a pest, since this is likely a semantics / knowledge issue on my side. I do see devices with all 0's, like I would expect the printers to be also, but maybe I am just trying to keep the traffic list to similar to the client list.

How about the request for some kind of tags on the traffic and/or client list as to which wifi port (2.4/5.0 and core/guest). Is that something that is even doable? It could even be an advanced filter choice or four toggle buttons, if it is easily trackable.

If I understand you, selecting yes, would also display printers and cameras with no WAN access, since they are connected but have no traffic or is this two different things? I hate to be a pest, since this is likely a semantics / knowledge issue on my side. I do see devices with all 0's, like I would expect the printers to be also, but maybe I am just trying to keep the traffic list to similar to the client list.

Most likely not. The device would require to have at least done one connection attempt that went through the FORWARD chain of the firewall.

How about the request for some kind of tags on the traffic and/or client list as to which wifi port (2.4/5.0 and core/guest). Is that something that is even doable? It could even be an advanced filter choice or four toggle buttons, if it is easily trackable.

That information isn't easily accessible from a code point of view (and I can't distinguish a guest from a regular client either). And that list is also too cramped already (I even had to reduce the font size to make a hostname fit), so I don't want to stuff even more info on it.

If all you need is the kernel module then I can see if it could be added.

No it's more, I and a lot of other users need this..... ASUS just refuses to take in high speed support.

https://github.com/tomatofirmware/tomato/commit/46f7c5f0da4204eb61ff5108c7dd7a835df39576

I have built Ubuntu kernels before from source code but in this case everything stands still :eek:

Shibby explains how it works here (use google translate)
http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=15811&rowstart=60#post_127800

I can stand Tomato but a user more of a newbie finds it difficult compared with the ASUS look.

So if its possible, please take a look at the code or maybe if someone else explains howto compile it...Thanks!

Last edited:
Most likely not. The device would require to have at least done one connection attempt that went through the FORWARD chain of the firewall.

I am not familiar with printers on network. I would think though that they would respond to a ping in which case the MAC would be added to the ARP table. Maybe this is what is needed? Just a thought.
--bill

I am not familiar with printers on network. I would think though that they would respond to a ping in which case the MAC would be added to the ARP table. Maybe this is what is needed? Just a thought.
--bill

Two different things here. The Client List relies on ARP, so yes, the printer would show up there. But the traffic monitor relies on devices sending traffic through the FORWARD chain, which only occurs when accessing the Internet.

No it's more, I and a lot of other users need this..... ASUS just refuses to take in high speed support.

https://github.com/tomatofirmware/tomato/commit/46f7c5f0da4204eb61ff5108c7dd7a835df39576

I have built Ubuntu kernels before from source code but in this case everything stands still :eek:

Shibby explains how it works here (use google translate)
http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=15811&rowstart=60#post_127800

I can stand Tomato but a user more of a newbie finds it difficult compared with the ASUS look.

So if its possible, please take a look at the code or maybe if someone else explains howto compile it...Thanks!

Looks like he had to backport it from possibly a newer kernel. In that case that's something I'd rather not do, sorry. Otherwise it will become a support headache for me as everyone will ask for their own favorite device, and I would never even be able to test any of what I would be adding. I prefer stability over new features, sorry.

3.0.0.4.374.36_beta1-sdk5

I tried the new beta and it seems you fixed the Export ovpn file "Export" button.
It now gives the lines to paste my own client keys and not put in the routers own generated crap.

client.ovpn:
Code:
<cert>
    paste client certificate data here
</cert>
<key>
    paste client key data here
</key>

I use my own keys, so router generated client keys give problems like I reported earlier.

(I installed the beta without resetting to defaults this time.)

Last edited: