What's new

Device with two IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
Why is one of my devices (a QNAP NAS) getting two IPs? One inside of my subnet, and another one outside?
I've put QNAP with fixed IP, DHCP, static IP, with no success, it's always getting those two IPs

Code:
adminRT-AC86U/jffs/scripts cat /proc/net/arp
IP address       HW type     Flags       HW address            Mask     Device
10.0.0.228       0x1         0x2         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx    *        br0
169.254.4.163    0x1         0x0         xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx     *        br0

Maybe that's a question for a QNAP forum. As the arp entry is incomplete (flag 0) my guess is that it was a temporary link local address the QNAP gave itself before it got a DHCP address.

Can you ping that address?

Why is one of my devices (a QNAP NAS) getting two IPs? One inside of my subnet, and another one outside?
I've put QNAP with fixed IP, DHCP, static IP, with no success, it's always getting those two IPs

Code:
2nd address looks like a self-assigned/apipa address to me

I can't ping it.

Well, it started happening only after i formatted my router.
I restart QNAP, restart router, restart both at same time, and that specifically IP shows always.

Maybe not QNAP's fault, as this started happening only after reseted the router.

How can I solve this? I'm totlly blind on that question.

Do you have some other application, like Plex, running on it?

I can't ping it.

Well, it started happening only after i formatted my router.
I restart QNAP, restart router, restart both at same time, and that specifically IP shows always.

Maybe not QNAP's fault, as this started happening only after reseted the router.

How can I solve this? I'm totlly blind on that question.
If you can't ping it then it's not a problem. It was a temporary address that's been and gone. It should disappear from the arp table automatically after a while (usually 5 minutes).

What problem is this causing you?

If you can't ping it then it's not a problem. It was a temporary address that's been and gone. It should disappear from the arp table automatically after a while (usually 5 minutes).

The only problem it is causing is that it doesn't disappears ... Never.

Despite of that, no problem

As you can see, it is still there (I rebooted router when I posted this topic)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200619-184750325.png
    Screenshot_20200619-184750325.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 125

Code:

Its not a problem to be concerned about.

See RFC 3927 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3927)

Appendix A
for explanation

As you can see, it is still there (I rebooted router when I posted this topic)
I'm not surprised it's there immediately after you reboot the router because you have forcibly disconnected the QNAPs network connection and the DHCP server isn't immediately available.

I would log into the QNAP and check what interfaces it has configured. This sounds like a QNAP issue to me.

On
I'm not surprised it's there immediately after you reboot the router because you have forcibly disconnected the QNAPs network connection and the DHCP server isn't immediately available.

I would log into the QNAP and check what interfaces it has configured. This sounds like a QNAP issue to me.
On qnap I can't find this strange IP anywhere, it has only the 10.0.0.228 configured. On qnap I can't see anything strange..

And I think it isn't a qnap issue, because it only started happening after I factory reset the router. I haven't changed anything on QNAP

Yes I have plex, but I've always had...
I run Plex in a jail on my FreeNAS server, and it configures a separate IP address. Same for other jails I've set up. I'm not entirely sure how it is doing that, but perhaps QNAP is doing something similar. Is Plex working?

I run Plex in a jail on my FreeNAS server, and it configures a separate IP address. Same for other jails I've set up. I'm not entirely sure how it is doing that, but perhaps QNAP is doing something similar. Is Plex working?
Yes it is.
I'll disable Plex and reboot qnap just to check.

Code:

Not only QNAP,,,I saw it happened with FireTV USB Stick as well. FireTV USB obtained 1 IP and another portion of the USB stick obtained another IP for "something" shown as anonymous. I knew that when I blocked the Internet of the Anonymous and FireTV USB Stick can't talk to Internet :)...

(it doesn't happen with Chrome USB streaming and Roku USB stick or streaming device)!!

On qnap I can't find this strange IP anywhere, it has only the 10.0.0.228 configured.
OK. In which case my guess is the router's network map function is attempting to probe that address too frequently and not allowing Linux's garbage collection to expire the entry. There's not a lot you can do about that. :(

OK. In which case my guess is the router's network map function is attempting to probe that address too frequently and not allowing Linux's garbage collection to expire the entry. There's not a lot you can do about that. :(
I wonder what happens if you kill networkmap --bootwait

plex should let you pick a specific adapter to bind to (defaults to any). might be worth a shot
Mmm. I think a lot of these NAS systems goose their appeal with the ability to run other apps in jails, in VMs, and so on. Running plex server in a FreeNAS jail I can't pick an adapter, but I can configure a vnet with a full network stack that pulls its own IP address. So this single adapter for the box actually has 3 (at one time four) IP addresses that all appear separate in the router's GUI.