What's new

dhcp on wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bubobih

Occasional Visitor
hello, i need a bit help with my "problem".

i have huawei ont (fiber wan) and wifi there so thats why i didnt bridge wan.
in lan 1 port i have asus ac 86u with latest asus merlin. both have dhcp enabled with 192.168.1.1(ont) and 2.1 asus.

what i want is to make on asus dhcp server and nextdns client to work for both wifi networks, but its complicated because my internet go over that ont so i cant just disable dhcp on it. another problem is that on asus i need to use wan port because ddns wont get ssl, and nextdns client dont work. (i try to make 1 network and put in asus lan port and it actualy work all was on asus over lan port but many services doesent work especial on asus router, scripts probably check is wan port online)

only thing similar on net i found here. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/adding-192-168-2-x-address-to-wan-port.69434/

but i didnt succes to manage it.

if anyone have some good idea :)

so to conclude:

- huawei ont wan fiber + wifi
- asus behind it with dhcp server +, nextdns dns client.

So i cant route internet to asus. And point dhcp and dns to asus router. I actualy partial succes but want port on asus cant pass dhcp server. Also when i use lan in same network, nextdns and other seevices that require "wan" not working because they dont check does internet goes over lan port.

An ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is the fibre optic equivalent of a modem. Some have more than one port, but each of those ports is a potential different connection (usually with its own billing). So you usually either plug in a single device directly to an ONT or you plug in a router. Using your own router you may need service log in credentials, and possibly need to use a VLAN too.

So, if we knew your country and who the ISP is, we might be able to offer more help!

Sorry maybe you didn't understand.

I have ont huawei eg8145v5 with wifi. I can bridge it and use asus as main/only one but then i lose wifi on ont. But i want more control of dhcp and dns over https with nextdns so i want to make it as main dhcp/dns but still to use ont wifi so to not bridge ont optical network.

What you have then is a combo device. If it's not possible to disable the routing capability of the Huawei device, then it may be possible to have your ISP replace it with a "pure" ONT that has no routing abilities and no WiFi. The other more practical solution in some scenarios could be to disable the DHCP on the ONT-combo, set the router as an AP, and use a separate device to provide DHCP, nextDNS, and other scripts/network services.

Im think that you still didnt understand my "problem".

I need that wifi, and only problem is that if i want to keep wifi on ont i cant bridge wan and use it directly at asus ac86u.

So let me try to clarify.

I have fiber - ont (dhcp wifi2. 4)- lan - ac86u(dhcp subnet wifi 5ghz)

And i need
Fiber - ont (wifi 2.4) - lan - ac86u (dhcp/nextdns main for both wifi, wifi 5ghz)

So you are wanting to use the Huawei as a gateway as well as to provide some WiFi. So DHCP on the Huawei needs to be off and it'll need a static IP such as 192.168.1.254 - You then want most of the network services to be provided by the RT-AC86U so it would need to be connected to the Huawei LAN to LAN, it's WAN connection type would need to be "Automatic", NAT and UPnP would need to be off (Huawei still provides NAT, and if needed UPnP). On the LAN, LAN IP for the RT-AC86U would probably want to be 192.168.1.1 and on LAN DHCP server page on the RT-AC86U you would then need to set the default gateway to point to the static IP you assigned to the Huawei (192.168.1.254) and exclude that address from the DHCP pool.

In an ideal world, while inefficient, that should cover the basics of what you want to achieve. The problem is that we are relying on consumer equipment that often only implements as much of the network protocols as it needs to. Likely problems could come from the Huawei device and its clients not making proper use of the downstream services offered by the RT-AC86U.

I hope that's what you are trying to do, and if I've forgotten anything, that someone else can fill in the blanks. I'm also somewhat sceptical that it will actually work! *Simply turning off the DHCP on the Huawei, using the RT-AC86U as an AP, and running the services (inc DHCP) on a separate device such as an SBC plugged into the Huawei would still be my personal preference.

But i want more control of dhcp and dns over https with nextdns so i want to make it as main dhcp/dns. so i can only do that on asus. not on huawei. I try lan to lan,i set both in same network subnet, and internet work, but all other services not (including asus ddns) because they "ping" wan port. And nextdns too doesent work

The DHCP server does not need to sit at the gateway. It can be anywhere on the network, provided you've disabled any conflicting DHCP servers. The DNS is pointed to by the DHCP server, so it too can be pretty much anywhere. On the Huawei, NAT is still enabled so most routed services should run.
Yes, NextDNS is going to be problematic, because it really needs to sit on the gateway. Placing a firewall anywhere other than the interface between your LAN and the Internet is probably not going to work, and we're back to needing a none-combo "pure" ONT.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!