What's new

DHCP overload??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Kaforey

Occasional Visitor
I was having a very weird problem which has been resolved (I think), but I'm not sure if the changes I made are what caused the problem to be fixed.

I have an N66 with a lot of devices connected. Anywhere between 20-40 devices. The devices include wireless/wired and are composed of everything from PC's, to tablets, to IP cameras, to my bed (yes, my bed).

This weekend I was adding 7 security cameras to the network and I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I started getting very sporadic wireless performance. The cameras are all hard wired (POE). However, both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands would basically slow down to a point where they were unusable (speed tests below 1mbit/sec where they're normally over 100mbit). The weird part is that the wired connections were behaving perfectly fine. Sometimes rebooting the router would resolve the problem temporarily, but within a few hours, the problem would usually reappear. Sometimes rebooting the router didn't do anything.

I did a lot of testing and trials including turning off devices, disabling some of my phones wireless connections (I was reading about a weird android 5.x problem that could kill wireless connections). I also powered off my cable modem for quite awhile in order to reduce outside traffic to see if Wireshark could show anything interesting. I didn't see anything. I tried clearing NVRAM, resetting to factory defaults, etc. Nothing helped for more than a few hours.

Previously, I was using DHCP for basically everything. I decided I wanted to try setting up static DHCP to all of my known devices based on MAC address. That was not a fun process to add about 45 devices to the list, but once I did this, the wireless and wired connections have been perfect (for 2 days straight).

My question is, does having too many DHCP clients start to effect the router? Is using static DHCP less taxing on the router?

My bet is the 7 security cameras. If they are all running 1080p HD and are real-time (ie not just taking a shot every second and sending it in) then you have a whole boatload of data saturating the router.

It doesn't really explain why wired was perfectly fine during that time. Some are 720p and others are 1080p running at 15fps. Also, it's not too much data. Only about 2-3MB/sec of data (total for 7 cameras) over wired connections. In addition, if it was really data saturation, it doesn't explain why it's working now that I have mapped all of my devices to static DHCP

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!