What's new

Different DNS servers for Guest networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gorocket1981

New Around Here
I have an AC-3100. I have my DNS servers pushed to the clients with DHCP for my regular LAN 2.4/5Ghz wifi networks.

Also, I created a Wifi Guest network. I would like to do a configuration with the router that assign different DNS servers to the clients that connect using the Guest network (not the same DNS servers than my regular LAN wifi networks).

How can this be done to have different DNS servers for the Guest networks?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It can be done - don't need to push a config to the guest clients - just define the settings for the guest vlan/wlan.

I'm in the middle of a build - but dnsmasq can handle multiple items like this.

OK. I tried to find configuration to define the correct settings but nothing worked yet. When you have a chance, if you find something about that, let me know. Thanks!

OK. I tried to find configuration to define the correct settings but nothing worked yet. When you have a chance, if you find something about that, let me know. Thanks!

It's not in the WebUI - it's under the hood mucking about

There's a couple of good scripts that can help - @thelonelycoder can advise more here

Alternatively, you could setup a separate router to handle your guest traffic. No "mucking about" required. Not really sure why you'd want to have a different DHCP server and/or different DNS servers, but that is your call.

Alternatively, you could setup a separate router to handle your guest traffic. No "mucking about" required. Not really sure why you'd want to have a different DHCP server and/or different DNS servers, but that is your call.

Challenge there is to set a VLAN on the upstream router so that Guest Traffic cannot cross into the local LAN environment.

Certainly do-able..

Not really sure why you'd want to have a different DHCP server and/or different DNS servers, but that is your call.

One good reason to have different DNS servers for the Guest Network is adult content filtering.
You don't want the kids of your friends to accidentally open something they shouldn't have to open.

One good reason to have different DNS servers for the Guest Network is adult content filtering.
You don't want the kids of your friends to accidentally open something they shouldn't have to open.
They can open whatever they want to with mobile connection everywhere (even at my home) but I shall prevent them using my home network?
Thats just paranoid.

They can open whatever they want

I have friends with small kids. They don’t have cell phones yet, but carry tablets to watch YouTube. I don’t know if those tablets have parental controls enabled. There is nothing wrong on my side to put adult content filter on my Guest Network just to avoid confusing situations and there is no problem to do it, takes 5min.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!