1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Different DNS servers for Guest networks

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by gorocket1981, Oct 9, 2019.

1. gorocket1981

gorocket1981 New Around Here

I have an AC-3100. I have my DNS servers pushed to the clients with DHCP for my regular LAN 2.4/5Ghz wifi networks.

Also, I created a Wifi Guest network. I would like to do a configuration with the router that assign different DNS servers to the clients that connect using the Guest network (not the same DNS servers than my regular LAN wifi networks).

How can this be done to have different DNS servers for the Guest networks?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

It can be done - don't need to push a config to the guest clients - just define the settings for the guest vlan/wlan.

I'm in the middle of a build - but dnsmasq can handle multiple items like this.

3. gorocket1981

gorocket1981 New Around Here

OK. I tried to find configuration to define the correct settings but nothing worked yet. When you have a chance, if you find something about that, let me know. Thanks!

4. sfx2000

It's not in the WebUI - it's under the hood mucking about

There's a couple of good scripts that can help - @thelonelycoder can advise more here

5. Greg72

Greg72 Regular Contributor

YazFi aka YazWifi allows for Guest DNS setup.

6. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Part of the Furniture

sentinelvdx likes this.
  7. dosborne

dosborne Senior Member

Alternatively, you could setup a separate router to handle your guest traffic. No "mucking about" required. Not really sure why you'd want to have a different DHCP server and/or different DNS servers, but that is your call.

8. sfx2000

Challenge there is to set a VLAN on the upstream router so that Guest Traffic cannot cross into the local LAN environment.

Certainly do-able..

9. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

One good reason to have different DNS servers for the Guest Network is adult content filtering.
    You don't want the kids of your friends to accidentally open something they shouldn't have to open.

10. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

They can open whatever they want to with mobile connection everywhere (even at my home) but I shall prevent them using my home network?
    Thats just paranoid.

11. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

I have friends with small kids. They don’t have cell phones yet, but carry tablets to watch YouTube. I don’t know if those tablets have parental controls enabled. There is nothing wrong on my side to put adult content filter on my Guest Network just to avoid confusing situations and there is no problem to do it, takes 5min.