What's new

Different subnet for guest network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Granny

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I just got an ASUS RT-AC68U B router, and I'm trying to create a few guest networks (with different subnets on them) to separate my home network
I find it weird that I have currently 2 guest networks (NET1 and NET2), and their configuration is the same, but NET1 gets its own subnet, but NET2 does not.
the AC68U DHCP is on 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0

Both networks are disabled on "Access Intranet" so I would assume also NET2 should get it's own subnet... but it does not.

1611570416115.png

1611570249610.png

If I check BRCTL via ssh, I see that there are 2 bridges (and checking the MACs shows that br1 has the MACs from NET1)
But I don't understand why setting up NET2 like that doesn't create a new br2...?
1611570526102.png

interesting - I didn't think the Guest networks created subnets. I have an ac68u and all my guest networks use the same subnet as the main router subnet.

interesting - I didn't think the Guest networks created subnets. I have an ac68u and all my guest networks use the same subnet as the main router subnet.
If you enable "Access intranet" it uses the same subnet as the main interface, if you disable it it creates a new one (at least ONLY for Guest network 1) but I don't understand why not for Guest network 2...

Yeah on the 68u the guest networks will use the same subnet as the main router's subnet. But if one uses the YazFi script they can use different subnets (and other guest network settings) for the guest networks on the 68u (and other supported routers).

On the 386 code base with AiMesh 2 the first guest wifi will have a different subnet in 2.4 and 5 GHZ. This to enable the first guest to be used on mesh nodes.

On the 386 code base with AiMesh 2 the first guest wifi will have a different subnet in 2.4 and 5 GHZ. This to enable the first guest to be used on mesh nodes.
So that's ONLY for guest network 1? it is possible to extend it to to guest network 2 somehow? (without scripts)

Unless you wait for Asus to add G2, G3 to work like G1, no.

YazFi is what has been working for 'wants' like this for a long time now. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!