What's new

Difficulties maintaining 160 MHz channel bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you don't have 3 to 10 minute scanning dropouts then sometimes the DFS space can be a blessing.
I've never seen any delays. On the rare occasions when radar detection has forced a channel change it happens immediately.

Stop adding extra "u"s to everything I hear that enough at work all day 😄
Only if you guys start pronouncing "solder" properly.

Last edited:
I've given up with 160mhz for the time being. Just seems too fussy.

My S23, can't seem to hold onto the 160mhz at all.

Tried the following:

20/40/80/160
160 only
Channel 36

Just seems hit and miss.

It's by design that the router automatically drops to 80mhz when no supported device is connected, although this conflicts with practical needs.

Naturally, some people will need 160mhz. The fundamental problem is that this is the maximum wireless rate available in some areas (no WIFi 6E/7), or can you try to connect your phone to a network cable? It is arrogance to assert that others don't need 160mhz just because you don't need it.

It's by design that the router automatically drops to 80mhz when no supported device is connected, although this conflicts with practical needs.

Naturally, some people will need 160mhz. The fundamental problem is that this is the maximum wireless rate available in some areas (no WIFi 6E/7), or can you try to connect your phone to a network cable? It is arrogance to assert that others don't need 160mhz just because you don't need it.
I've enabled 160 only and also tried it with 20/40/80/160. Just seems that my S23 wants to stick at 80mhz for some reason and won't switch over to 160mhz.

It feels temperamental. Unless I'm not doing something right?

OK, I do not need 160 MHz. My FIOS is "only" 100/100.

But, my router and node both have been at 160 MHz for the past week. That is when I last tested Merlin beta firmware then went back to Asus. No fancy WIFI config. Basically default settings except for enabling DFS channels. My 160 MHz enabled AX and AC clients are happy and my new Samsung A54 is very happy at 80 MHz with WIFI calling working just fine!

I've enabled 160 only and also tried it with 20/40/80/160. Just seems that my S23 wants to stick at 80mhz for some reason and won't switch over to 160mhz.

It is temperamental, just like 40mhz on 2.4 (actually worse since 160 on 5ghz must use DFS frequencies). You need low interference and no radar in your area.

When the router drops to 80mhz, you need to wait 5 minutes to switch back to 160mhz when connecting to a device that supports 160mhz. The speed of route degradation is much more aggressive and rapid than that of upgrade.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!