What's new

160MHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
On GT-AX6000 (running latest Merlin), when I set the channel bandwidth to anything other than 160MHz I am able to manually set the control channel. But when I set the channel bandwidth to only 160MHz it forces auto control channel and on some of the channels my AiMesh node (RT-AC68U) doesn't connect (can't connect to certain channels?). When it auto-connects to like channel 48 all devices run faster (better connection and throughput), but I can't trust that on reboot it will always connect to a channel the node recognizes. Why can't I manually select channel on 160MHz? Why doesn't the node recognize certain channels? What bandwidth do you think I should use (20,40,80,160; 80; 160)?

Use 80MHz in non-DFS range.

Your AC68U is the limiting factor as it can't do DFS channels. And, DFS channels are required to do 160 MHz. Set the AC68U as an access point or get an AX router that will do DFS channels.

Edit: I use the WIFI defaults with 160 MHz and DFS channels enabled. Forcing 160 MHz can lead to unhappy users and unreliable 5 GHz operation if the router detects RADAR.

Your AC68U is the limiting factor as it can't do DFS channels. And, DFS channels are required to do 160 MHz. Set the AC68U as an access point or get an AX router that will do DFS channels.
The RT-AC68U is entirely capable of "doing" DFS channels. I ran my RT-AC68U (and RT-N66U before that) on DFS channels for years. What it can't do is 160MHz bandwidth.

Edit: I use the WIFI defaults with 160 MHz and DFS channels enabled. Forcing 160 MHz can lead to unhappy users and unreliable 5 GHz operation if the router detects RADAR.
What setting for channel bandwidth do you use: 20,40,80,160 or 80? Is it best to auto select channel or manually select to say 153 or 161? I am in a single family home with little interference in the area.

Last edited:
I put on 80MHz with auto channel and it seems to be pretty good. I will monitor for a while. Thanks

What country? What is usually better as channel selection is region specific.

Use 36-48 or 149-161 whatever works better for you. Fixed, 80MHz wide.

I use the WIFI defaults: auto channel on both 2.4 and 5 GHz, 20-40 MHz on 2.4 GHz, 20-40-80-160 MHz on the 5 GHz and enable DFS channels. If you really need to use the AC68U as a mesh node then stick with 80 MHz. Or invest in an AX router. Amazon has some Asus refurbished AX routers for a good price.

I use the WIFI defaults: auto channel on both 2.4 and 5 GHz, 20-40 MHz on 2.4 GHz, 20-40-80-160 MHz on the 5 GHz and enable DFS channels. If you really need to use the AC68U as a mesh node then stick with 80 MHz. Or invest in an AX router. Amazon has some Asus refurbished AX routers for a good price.

Which refurbished AX router do you recommend? I see ASUS RT-AX58U Dual Band WIFI Router (RT-AX3000) (Renewed) for $85.

Remove the node and try again with your GT-AX6000 router only. This old RT-AC68U is perhaps making things only worse. One bar signal from the main router may be faster connection than four bars from your old router working as repeater (this is what wireless AiMesh node is). Lock the channels so the router doesn't change them. It will cause devices reconnection for mostly no reason. Wi-Fi environment is dynamically changing and the router is not as smart as you may think it is. The less disturbance the better. You may find some of your devices not reconnecting automatically after channel change.

Remove the node and try again with your GT-AX6000 router only. This old RT-AC68U is perhaps making things only worse. One bar signal from the main router may be faster connection than four bars from your old router working as repeater (this is what wireless AiMesh node is). Lock the channels so the router doesn't change them. It will cause devices reconnection for mostly no reason. Wi-Fi environment is dynamically changing and the router is not as smart as you may think it is. The less disturbance the better. You may find some of your devices not reconnecting automatically after channel change.

I'll try that, thanks.

I removed the node and set Channel Bandwidth to 160MHz but that only allows auto control channel. Devices seem to be running smooth although only 1-2 bars on most of them. When I look at System Log: Wireless Log, most devices are connected at 80MHz (I only have 1 AX device). Should I set channel bandwidth to 20/40/80/160 or 80 or 160 (in order to get more bars, better connection)? When I set to 20/40/80/160 all devices connect @ 20MHz. BTW, I am only running 5 GHz and have turned off 2.4 GHz.

Last edited:
I only have 1 AX device

You are wasting your time playing with the settings then.

I already told you how to set your radios. It will give you better Wi-Fi stability and compatibility. If you don't like or trust the answers to your questions - set your router the way you believe is best. There is no point asking the same questions over and over again.

I have been following this thread. In my previous house, I had enabled 160Mhz - I had a few AX clients - a PC, a laptop and an AX58U in Media Mode. All connected at 160Mhz.

Fast forward to today. Moved across country to a house that is pretty close to some high power lines (in fact, my road is off Powerline Rd.

When I set things up, update fw’s etc. I did not have 160Mhz enabled.

I recently thought I would give it a go. Enabled 160Mhz and left defaults.

IMG_0586.jpeg

It’s been this way for a few days.

But, no 160Mhz. Wireless log always shows DFS state: idle and Channel cleared for radar: none.

I live pretty far from an airport and as far as I know there are no weather radar sites near me.
Im just curious - could the high power lines cause enough RFI to cause this?

Im likely going to go disable the 160Mhz stuff for now. Network is good enough at 80

But, no 160Mhz. Wireless log always shows DFS state: idle and Channel cleared for radar: none.
Sounds like you'd have to manually set the primary channel to get 160MHz. At the moment it's picked channel 153 which is not capable of 160MHz. On the other hand using 153/80 allows your router to use more power.

But, no 160Mhz.

This setting and 160MHz is only possible if your RT-AX88U Pro supports channel 163 in U-NII-4. Not sure if any client devices can use it. Our Canadian routers don't have this. Try channel 50 and see how it goes in case you insist on 160MHz wide channel and you prefer speed in exchange of reliability.

Last edited: