What's new

DIR-655, DAP 1555, and DAP 1522 bridging - will it work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hbofinger

New Around Here
Hi,

I did the mistake of buying ONE DAP-1555 not too long ago - maybe the last one left on the market! I am using it to create a bridge between two floors of my house. Only after I bought the thing did I realize that the most optimal performance is to have two of these, with then two routers (such as the DIR-655) at each end.

So now I have the budget to optimize this setup. Running right now I have on the top floor the DIR-655, on the bottom floor the DAP-1555, connected to an old Belkin wireless G router. Believe it or not, though the DIR-655 is only a single band router, the two (the DAP-1555 and the DIR-655) do talk to each other, though obviously this is a kluge, since I am not taking advantage of the 5 ghz of the very expensive DAP-1555. Believe it or not - this setup was recommended by a D-Link telephone tech support person. I am not making this up!

So now I have several options, and I am trying to figure out which makes most sense:

(1) New DIR-855 top floor, move DIR-655 downstairs, connect to DAP-1555
(2) New DIR-825 top floor, move DIR-655 downstairs, connect to DAP-1555,
(2) New DAP-1522 + DIR-655 upstairs, DAP-1555 plus old DIR-655 downstairs

The assumptions here is that all the 5 ghz radios actually can talk to each other, i.e. the DIR-855, DIR-825, and the DAP-1522 can all connect to the DAP-1555. I realize of course that with the current kluge setup my backbone for the bridge is 2.5 mghz.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would not go with a DIR-855. Too expensive for what you get.

Please provide a simple diagram of what you are trying to do. It makes it much easier to offer useful advice.

Thanks for you reply!

Diagrams are attached.

Really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Current and Proposed Network Diagrams.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 489
Thanks for the diagram.

If your connection is weak/unstable using 2.4GHz, then it will be worse using 5 GHz, since 5GHz signals are attenuated more than 2.4 GHz when passing through the same obstacles.

You are better off replacing the DAP 1555 and staying in 2.4 GHz. If you want to play with dual-band try a Linksys WET610N. If D-Link try a DAP-1522.

On the DIR-655 make sure you got the latest firmware fixes the weaker signal now...

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir655/Firmware/dir655_firmware_122b05_beta.zip

I don't need no more access points.
DIR-655 location is still in the basement family room closet
First Floor 2 wireless N laptops using TEW-641PC but using the WNPU Realtek 8190 drivers from Realtek 5.170 3/09
Second Floor 1 wireless N laptop using TEW-641PC but using the WNPU Realtek 8190 drivers from Realtek 5.170 3/09

359654630.jpg

I just use the DIR-655 A3/1.22B05 and that's it! All Wireless N Laptops now come in at:

TX: 150 / RX: 300
80-84% Signal Strength
100% Link Quality

or (depending on the signal)

TX: 120 / RX: 270

Attachments

• NETWORK%202009.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Thanks to both of you!

tipstir: What you are basically telling me is to stay on 2.4, which is working right now, somewhat, with the current setup. In the current diagram I do not have N downstairs, only g. If I wanted to replace the DAP-1555 with a single unit that acts both as a bridge and an access point in N, keeping the Dir-655 upstairs, which should I use? I don't think I can use a second Dir-655 both as an access point and a bridge.

thiggins: Thanks for the update on the firmware, will try as soon as possible. Problem might be that we have 11 foot ceilings and brick walls, so I think I do need a second access point, especially if I want to extend out into the yard.

One last point considering BOTH of yours advice: Since the DAP-1555 is in effect acting as a 2.4 bridge, if the connectivity of the Dir-655 to the DAP-1555 improved with the firmware upgrade to the Dir-655, all I would really need to do is dump the Belkin router downstairs and replace with another Dir 655 to get N donwstairs, right?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Either DAP will act as a bridge or AP. So if you want wireless downstairs, yes, you would add another DIR-655 or other wireless router, but configured as an Access Point. Otherwise you'll create another subnet, which will complicate file and printer sharing.

Thanks to both of you!

tipstir: What you are basically telling me is to stay on 2.4, which is working right now, somewhat, with the current setup. In the current diagram I do not have N downstairs, only g. If I wanted to replace the DAP-1555 with a single unit that acts both as a bridge and an access point in N, keeping the Dir-655 upstairs, which should I use? I don't think I can use a second Dir-655 both as an access point and a bridge.

thiggins: Thanks for the update on the firmware, will try as soon as possible. Problem might be that we have 11 foot ceilings and brick walls, so I think I do need a second access point, especially if I want to extend out into the yard.

One last point considering BOTH of yours advice: Since the DAP-1555 is in effect acting as a 2.4 bridge, if the connectivity of the Dir-655 to the DAP-1555 improved with the firmware upgrade to the Dir-655, all I would really need to do is dump the Belkin router downstairs and replace with another Dir 655 to get N donwstairs, right?

Thanks again for all of your help!

You can use DIR-655 as the main router or AP it will work either way just fine. DAP is what DLINK wants you to use, but DIR-655 can be use AP.

Thanks for all of your input!

I was actually on the road when I started this thread, so now I am back home and will be able to start with implementation. I will

a) Upgrade the existing Dir-655's firmware, and
b) get another Dir 655 for downstairs.

Will post follow up to report how well it works out.

Tanks again!

OK Now it's working - but it got flakey in another way!!!

Hi everybody,

So I got a new D-Link whatever 4500 Gamerlounge router. It is my accessway - I.e. it is connected to the cable modem, etc., and also has four PCs hardwired to it.

Downstairs I have set up a wireless bridge with the DAP 1555, and hardwired with a crosswire the Dir 655 to it.

Everything seemed to work just fine. I did all kinds of wonderful tests to make sure each link was doing its job, and that I was actually reading the right transmitter. The whole thing is working - 4500 on top floor, DAP 1555 is picking up the signal and bridging, and I have the Dir, with DHCP disabled, but I kept on getting random IP address conflict messages. So I did the computer to computer check - and there were no IP conflicts I could find. Nor could I see any in the 4500's connected devices screen. So I started reserving IP addresses for all the comfusers attached, including the Dir 655 router.

And that seemed to work for a while, and then it happened AGAIN!

I finally found that the DAP 1555 kept on getting itself an address reserved for the other machines. I hard-set it statically to an IP address, reserved that IP address in the 4500, and this seems to work. So here is how it is:

.190 - .199 = reserved for each known computer, a separate entry for each NIC card in the case there are multiples per machine

.101 DIR 655 router (hard-coded into the router, reserved in the 4500)
.102 DAP 155 bridge (hard coded into the bridge, reserved in the 4500)
.01 for 4500 router itself as the gateway.

Now the IP conflict message seems to have gone away, but it is still dropping connections!

Working on finding out what is going on here - will keep you posted...

:D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!