What's new

Disapointed with RT-AC5300 CPU - Where to go from here?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You guys are nuts, you cannot control inbound traffic with your little routers.

Hard to do any flow management for inbound if all traffic is marked as best effort - ECN helps here, and can still do some generic queue discipline - Cake helps here quite a bit for lower speed connections, but it does at a cost - one cannot do the spicy sauce of NAT accelerators such as CTF and it's friends and still have reasonable QoS.

(NAT acceleration says we must not drop any packets in a traffic flow, whereas QoS says we can, so this will always be a conflict, but not as significant as one of think -- but on the consumer devices, QoS typically has to be done in the Linux networking in the kernal, not off in an accelerator somewhere).

Qualcomm does claim to do QoS underneath the kernel on the UBI32 cores in the closed source NSS subsystem, just in case someone points that out.

I didn't want to use Quickconnect becasue I wanted to control my own security and instead set up a VPN on the router to tunnel the traffic from the laptop via OpenVPN (to access while not on the LAN) but this was brutally slow.

If OpenVPN is active on the particular interfaces, this could explain the poor performance and seeing one of the CPU's pegged...

If everything (NAS, Laptop, etc) is on the LAN straight thru, traffic should only traverse the internal switch, so shouldn't be any impact.

Something is wrong here...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!