What's new

Disconnection Issues Since Updating Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BENBOBBY

Occasional Visitor
Ever since updating my firmware to Asuswrt-Merlin a few days ago Ive been having disconnection issues. It might just be coincidence, but strangely it seems to occur around midnight and only once! Although this is typically when I am also doing the most downloading/streaming.

The disconnection error message comes up and advises me to run the connection wizard, which I do but it says it cant detect a connection (wired and wirelessly). However if I go turn the MODEM off at the wall for a few seconds and back on then it all connects fine again.

I live in the UK and my ISP is British Telecom (BT) and have the 'Infinity' - fibre optic broadband service. I have a modem provided by them and an Asus RT-AC88U router. I havent altered my settings since the firmware change and have connection type set as PPPoE with a MTU of 1492 as shown below:

37733_settings.jpg

Since it occurs at around midnight Im wondering if perhaps theres some sort of time setting thats out of sync or when the dynamic IP changes perhaps??

Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for the reply. Im surprised to hear this firmware gives such problems, I thought it was supposed to be an improvement on the official one!

Ok so I copy and paste the script in that thread you mentioned into notepad and save it as "wan_check.sh" on my USB stick connected to the router. However then how do I actually run the script? I assume I need to connect to the router via PuTTY then type in:

Code:
#!/bin/sh logger "WAN Up: New IP address is $(nvram get wan_ipaddr)" killall wan_check.sh /mnt/myusbname/wan_check.sh &

?? Sorry all this is new to me. Will having a script run constantly in the background effect my routers performance?

This tells exactly howe to configurate this.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/wan-ip-renew-issue.26995/#post-204269

Save script on usb or /jffs
Start: started from /jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh
make it executable:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh

Put this in: /jffs/scripts/wan-start
#!/bin/sh
logger "WAN Up: New IP address is $(nvram get wan_ipaddr)"
killall wan_check.sh
/jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh

make it executable:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan-start

it will check if wan is down and "renewing dhcp wan"

Last edited:
Yeh it tells you how if you know what any of it means! Thanks for the reply, but how do I even save the script to /jffs I cant find the folder?

Download WinScp and config your connection to your router.
Then you can find /jffs.

I have PuTTY if that does the same thing?
no

Just a thought, did you factory default after upgrade and put config back by hand?
If not, it may be the problem

Last edited:
Ok I tried resetting everything back to factory settings, then reapplied the settings manually. Still disconnected tonight unfortunately.

So I downloaded WinScp as suggested and put the wan_check.sh file into the /jffs (and /jffs/scripts) folder. Then loaded up PuTTY and typed in the 'chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh' command you said but nothing seemed to happen. Ugh :/

79588_shit.jpg

Last edited:
i have the same problem. my asus router once a day every day disconnect and then i have manual to reboot router to get connection back. here are some logs from syslog:

Code:
Apr  2 14:31:25 pppd[528]: No response to 10 echo-requests
Apr  2 14:31:25 pppd[528]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Apr  2 14:31:25 pppd[528]: Connect time 1076.7 minutes.
Apr  2 14:31:25 pppd[528]: Sent 50213850 bytes, received 335680045 bytes.
Apr  2 14:31:25 dnsmasq[1056]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Apr  2 14:31:25 dnsmasq[1056]: read /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/blacklist.txt - 0 addresses
Apr  2 14:31:27 dnsmasq[1056]: read /tmp/mnt/sda1/adblocking/hosts-adblock - 201080 addresses
Apr  2 14:31:27 dnsmasq[1056]: using nameserver 127.0.0.1#65053
Apr  2 14:31:29 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Apr  2 14:31:29 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Apr  2 14:31:31 pppd[528]: Connection terminated.
Apr  2 14:31:31 pppd[528]: Sent PADT
Apr  2 14:31:31 pppd[528]: Modem hangup
Apr  2 14:32:16 pppd[528]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr  2 14:33:31 pppd[528]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr  2 14:34:46 pppd[528]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: PPP session is 6655 (0x19ff)
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: Connected to 00:30:88:19:c3:bb via interface eth0
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: Using interface ppp0
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: CHAP authentication succeeded: CHAP authentication success, unit 30240
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Apr  2 14:35:23 pppd[528]: peer from calling number 00:30:88:19:C3:BB authorized

Ok I tried resetting everything back to factory settings, then reapplied the settings manually. Still disconnected tonight unfortunately.

So I downloaded WinScp as suggested and put the wan_check.sh file into the /jffs (and /jffs/scripts) folder. Then loaded up PuTTY and typed in the 'chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh' command you said but nothing seemed to happen. Ugh :/

Now you have make it executable with: chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh
Then you have to execute script with: /jffs/scripts/wan_check.sh

re read this post again: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/disconnection-issues-since-updating-firmware.31421/#post-249187

Hi
I am facing similar issues of sporadic loss of internet. I am wondering whether this script would work with a PPPoE setup (as the screenshot at the top seems to imply)?
Just asking so as I recall a post by RMerlin on another thread saying that dhcpc events would always fail under PPPoE.
Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks