What's new

Diversion Diversion not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrinos

New Around Here
I have diversion installed on a rt-ac5300 with a small flash drive and swap file. But when I go to any website to test ad blocking, i get ads.
I know pixelserv is running because i can download the cert from 192.168.1.2/ca.crt. I installed the cert into windows (this computer). I also added it to firefox (my main browser) but I tested on chrome since I wanted to rule out me failing to properly install the cert in firefox.

I also have other devices which i can install the cert to but wanted to get it working on this (windows 10) laptop before installing the cert to mobile/tablet devices.

So the settings:
Lan:
DNSFilter:
Global filter mode: Router
Custom DNS 1-3: Blank

DHCP Server:
DNS Server 1-2: Blank
WAN:
Connect to DNS Server automatically: No
DNS Server 1: 1.1.1.1
DNS Server 2: 1.0.0.1
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS: No
Enable DNS Rebind protection: No
Enable DNSSEC support: No
Prevent client auto DoH: Auto
DNS Privacy Protocol: None

Edit: More info
Diversion v4.1.12
FlexQoS v1.2.5
spdMerlin v4.4.1

Diversion is using large swap file (option 5). Other things to note is that when opening diversion via ssh it hangs for a long time before the ui loads in a terminal (not sure if this is normal or not).

Let me know if you need logs or if i missed some steps when installing

Attachments

• LanDNS.PNG
    LanDNS.PNG
    247.6 KB · Views: 231
  • LanDHCP.png
    LanDHCP.png
    380.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Wan.PNG
    Wan.PNG
    385.7 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Okay, so I use PiHole rather than Diversion, but I think I can try and put you back on the right track!

First off LAN > DNS Filter I don't believe you even need to touch this!
LAN > DHCP Server The default (if you are using the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet) would be to set one or both of the DNS server addresses to 192.168.1.2

That should get you the basic stuff up and working (I think) - well prepared to be wrong, only answering because no one else had already!

If that works let us know, and then if you need anything more complex we can go from there!
So I want to thank you for the response.

I tried setting

LAN > DHCP Server

to 192.168.1.2 (this is the static ip for pixelserv). Unfortunately that didnt work and my internet kept dropping. I also tried setting it to 192.168.1.1 (the ip address of the router and diversion from my understanding?) and that also did not work. Not sure if i didnt give it enough time to after the restart or what, but ill probably try it again later at night when no one is on the wifi, unless i get other advice to try.

Your original setup looked good. Crimliar's advice was bad because Pixelserv is not a DNS server. Adding it as a DNS server on the LAN page is wrong for Pixelserv (but valid for Pi-Hole).

Be sure your browsers aren't hijacking DNS with their own DoH. And be aware that Diversion includes some hardcoded whitelisted ad-domains, so you will still see some ads (not sure how you're testing it).

So I want to thank you for the response.

I tried setting

LAN > DHCP Server

to 192.168.1.2 (this is the static ip for pixelserv). Unfortunately that didnt work and my internet kept dropping. I also tried setting it to 192.168.1.1 (the ip address of the router and diversion from my understanding?) and that also did not work. Not sure if i didnt give it enough time to after the restart or what, but ill probably try it again later at night when no one is on the wifi, unless i get other advice to try.
The developer for Diversion still has a great site up here. Start over and follow the directions there. I think he still supports Diversion so you may be able to contact him via the site, otherwise a lot of folks still use Diversion in this forum.

Your original setup looked good. Crimliar's advice was bad because Pixelserv is not a DNS server. Adding it as a DNS server on the LAN page is wrong for Pixelserv (but valid for Pi-Hole).

Be sure your browsers aren't hijacking DNS with their own DoH. And be aware that Diversion includes some hardcoded whitelisted ad-domains, so you will still see some ads (not sure how you're testing it).
based on your advice i reverted back to what the original post had (the three images above)

I am testing using canyoublockit.com
I attached a screenshot of the extremetest and as you can see very poor results on firefox and chrome

Edit: do you think this could be related to the fact that diversion takes forever to load via command line? Im talking like minutes to load rather then seconds, and that is just running "diversion"

Edit 2: It took 12 minutes to go to the diversion home screen.

Attachments

• ads.png
    ads.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 205
  • chrome.PNG
    chrome.PNG
    406.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Edit: do you think this could be related to the fact that diversion takes forever to load via command line? Im talking like minutes to load rather then seconds, and that is just running "diversion"

Edit 2: It took 12 minutes to go to the diversion home screen.
What blocking list size are you using? "Large" may be too large for your router's available memory.

What blocking list size are you using? "Large" may be too large for your router's available memory.
I changed my blocking list to small. Looks like my issue is not memory since the memory is only @ 50% and the issue is still occurring. Looks like the issue is cpu related. For some reason the cpu utilization jumps to 100% when running the diversion command on my router

Edit: Also the ads still appear so it looks like im still where i started for now.

I changed my blocking list to small. Looks like my issue is not memory since the memory is only @ 50% and the issue is still occurring. Looks like the issue is cpu related. For some reason the cpu utilization jumps to 100% when running the diversion command on my router

Edit: Also the ads still appear so it looks like im still where i started for now.
The site you test is a bit extreme. I use medium list and the list does not covers it. Perhaps you can try other adblock test site. If you want to use canyoublockit extreme test, I found that adding this list helps:

I have the same issue and share the same settings.
using blocklist: medium

testing use sites: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html and https://www.speedtest.net/

i see ads on my PC but much less on my iphone and ipad. I dont see any ads on the above sites from these devices.

so it's either chrome or something else on my PC. i checked the hosts file. Didnt see anything weird.
At the risk of asking the obvious, what does the PC show for its DNS settings?

My wifes laptop has a similar issue but that is down to the fact her company runs a VPN which force routes all traffic over it whether you like it or not. Assume you're not running any VPN clients on the PC?

My wifes laptop has a similar issue but that is down to the fact her company runs a VPN which force routes all traffic over it whether you like it or not. Assume you're not running any VPN clients on the PC?
So I'm blocking with the small list not the large anymore, and the dailymail link still has a ton of ads. Not sure how to quote two posts yet.

Also I attached my ipconfig/all while using my work vpn (not the typical day to day usage) but as you can see the DNS Server is in fact my router. 192.168.1.1

Attachments

• ipconfigpng.png
    ipconfigpng.png
    204 KB · Views: 173
  • dailymail.PNG
    dailymail.PNG
    462.4 KB · Views: 185

thank you!

Yes, i initially changed it in adapter options, but it was manually set to cloudflare in another setting location in windows 10. Im ad free on PC now thanks.

Update reinstalled diversion and it looks like its blocking ads again :)
Now i just gotta update my blocking list

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!