What's new

Diversion struggling to block some ads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vertron

Regular Contributor
I've got diversion lite installed on my router (AC86U). Using canyoublockit extreme test as a benchmark, I've noticed quite a few ads are still getting though. I've activated extra host lists too, such as AdGuard and AdAway.

When I use NextDNS with the same blocklists, it blocks every advert from that site.

Does diversion lite work well for anyone using that test? If so what are your settings?

Update 15/08/21:
This has fixed itself

Last edited:
Diversion doesn't 'struggle', it either blocks it, or it doesn't. Technically, with the same blocking list, it should block the exact same ads, assuming your using the same blocking lists as many of them change frequently. You can follow dnsmasq to see whether it's blocked or not and compare that to NextDNS log. Although their approach is slightly different, I see no reason why Diversion shouldn't be able to block the accept same ads as NextDNS. However, if you use the NextDNS default list for example, your comparison is already invalid. In short, I think there's a difference in blocking lists. Diversion (especially combined with pixelsrv) might even be able to do a better job at adblocking compared to NextDNS (I've used Diversion for years, but have switched to NextDNS recently, because I got 2 years free and it offers some functionality like parental controls which I miss in Diversion).

Diversion has a hard-coded whitelist that includes some major ad domains used by snbforums.com in order to support this site. So it may be less effective than other ad-blocking products even when using the same lists.

Diversion has a hard-coded whitelist that includes some major ad domains used by snbforums.com in order to support this site. So it may be less effective than other ad-blocking products even when using the same lists.
I'm aware of that and have added these to my black list. However it's likely this hard-coded white list takes presidence over this so that could be causing this. Thanks.

True, totally forgot about that. Thanks for the addition.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!