What's new

Diversion Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker v4.2.x (see new thread for 4.3.x)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some browser extensions, such as uBlock Origin can block out the Google ads that appear at the top of some search results, rather than just prevent pages from links in such adverts opening. Is it possible to configure Diversion to do the same, so that the links and associated descriptions are not even visible in the search results? Just to be clear, I'm talking about things like this...
Screenshot - 27_01_2022 , 13_36_48.jpg

Some browser extensions, such as uBlock Origin can block out the Google ads that appear at the top of some search results, rather than just prevent pages from links in such adverts opening. Is it possible to configure Diversion to do the same, so that the links and associated descriptions are not even visible in the search results? Just to be clear, I'm talking about things like this...
View attachment 38969
No, a DNS-based adblocker cannot do that.

I'm still seeing ads at the moment, so I don't know whether it takes some times for this to have any significant effect or whether there is something else I need to do to get it working. I'm hoping that someone who knows a lot more about this can advise me and others like yourself who are trying out this feature.
it took me a while to start noticing, but I am not an around the clock Youtube watcher. My kids are, one of them made it a point to mention that they didn't see ads in their youtube video without even knowing I had it turned on. Then they got mad because I turned it off.

It does work, but not like you would hope. It dodges only some of the ads, and you still have the potential that someday the adblock list will fill up so much that you are actually starting to block the videos themself.
In view of that, is there a way to check/edit what is on the youtube adblock list?

This is the file /opt/share/diversion/list/yt_blacklist
Thanks for that. I've created a shortcut to it in jffs, so that I can find it easily if I need to.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 28_01_2022 , 08_16_10.jpg
    Screenshot - 28_01_2022 , 08_16_10.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 116
Hi !
My Diversion does not work on Youtube ads, i've checked some posts, i can't figure it why. But :
- Diversion configuration give me : Diversion_YTblocking YouTube video ads blocking is on
- But in the crontab, i don't have the line with the Youtube script (/opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div)
- And the list file don't exists (/tmp/mnt/USB/entware/share/diversion/list/yt_blacklist) :
1643499312131.png

I've updated / force / reinstalled, but same !

1643499353157.png

Did I miss something ? Classics web ads are correctly blocked
Do i need to manually add the yt script on the crontab ?
The file/yt-blocking.div script exist but does not have +x, so can't be runned.. (but like all other scripts) ? Is it normal ?

Thanks

Hi !
My Diversion does not work on Youtube ads, i've checked some posts, i can't figure it why. But :
- Diversion configuration give me : Diversion_YTblocking YouTube video ads blocking is on
- But in the crontab, i don't have the line with the Youtube script (/opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div)
- And the list file don't exists (/tmp/mnt/USB/entware/share/diversion/list/yt_blacklist) :
View attachment 39038

I've updated / force / reinstalled, but same !

View attachment 39039

Did I miss something ? Classics web ads are correctly blocked
Do i need to manually add the yt script on the crontab ?
The file/yt-blocking.div script exist but does not have +x, so can't be runned.. (but like all other scripts) ? Is it normal ?

Thanks
Try with disabling, then re-enabling the experimental YouTube Video ads blocking.

I've just tested the new feature to disable ad blocking on specified devices, but it's not working. I've tried rebooting my router and my laptop, as well as clearing cookies and other temporary files using Privacy Eraser Pro, but it still doesn't work. I'm uploading some screenshots of my setup in the hope that someone will be able to help me troubleshoot the problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_24_10.jpg
    Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_24_10.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_25_12.jpg
    Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_25_12.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_26_07.jpg
    Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_26_07.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_27_29.jpg
    Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 10_27_29.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 151
I've just tested the new feature to disable ad blocking on specified devices, but it's not working. I've tried rebooting my router and my laptop, as well as clearing cookies and other temporary files using Privacy Eraser Pro, but it still doesn't work. I'm uploading some screenshots of my setup in the hope that someone will be able to help me troubleshoot the problem.
I know it works ;)
Make sure your laptop actually uses the routers DNS settings and not some WAN side resolver.
And also be sure to have clicked the Apply button at bottom of the DNSFilter page.

I've found the answer - it's a setting in the Kaspersky brower extension. If I turn off blocking data collection, the ads immediately appear. That's probably why I wasn't seeing any ads on this forum as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 11_03_27.jpg
    Screenshot - 30_01_2022 , 11_03_27.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 104
Try with disabling, then re-enabling the experimental YouTube Video ads blocking.
I've re-installed everything, now i got script, lists for youtube ads
But still not a single ad blocked :(

i've re-installed 2 weeks ago, the script run on the cron, the list is updated (104 domain blocked)
77.192.211.145 r1.sn-25ge7ns7.googlevideo.com
77.192.211.145 r1.sn-25ge7nsd.googlevideo.com

(BTW, what is 77.192.211.145 ?)

Any ideas ?!

I've re-installed everything, now i got script, lists for youtube ads
But still not a single ad blocked :(

i've re-installed 2 weeks ago, the script run on the cron, the list is updated (104 domain blocked)
77.192.211.145 r1.sn-25ge7ns7.googlevideo.com
77.192.211.145 r1.sn-25ge7nsd.googlevideo.com

(BTW, what is 77.192.211.145 ?)

Any ideas ?!
YouTube ad-blocking has always been experimental at best: as has been extensively discussed previously, DNS based blocking will never be as effective as browser based blocking (UBlock Origin, etc...) for this. Most have found that trying to do this blocking on the router to be only moderately successful.

YouTube ad-blocking has always been experimental at best: as has been extensively discussed previously, DNS based blocking will never be as effective as browser based blocking (UBlock Origin, etc...) for this. Most have found that trying to do this blocking on the router to be only moderately successful.
Noted
Can't use uBlock, it's on my TV :p !

Noted
Can't use uBlock, it's on my TV :p !
Got it, yeah, I'm in the same boat. There are potential workarounds that would solve this: Chromecast from a laptop using UBlock is one way, or screen mirroring from a phone running things like NewPipe (available through FDroid), but even I don't bother on the rare occasions I look at YouTube on a bigger screen. Too much hassle for very limited use in my case, but they may be worthwhile solutions for some others.

Last edited:
Got it, yeah, I'm in the same boat. There are potential workarounds that would solve this: Chromecast from a laptop using UBlock is one way, or screen mirroring from a phone running things like NewPipe (available through FDroid), but even I don't bother on the rare occasions I look at YouTube on a bigger screen. Too much hassle for very limited use in my case, but they maybe worthwhile solutions for some others.
Yeah, it's ok for me, i'm on my computer.
Was for my wife, so.. If Diversion don't work, i don't really care :D !

Diversion 4.2.2 is now available

What's new
- Fixes a moderately severe blacklist file bug where it increases the file size with empty lines whenever IPv6 is enabled on the router.
Users affected by this bug may have experienced slow loading of the Diversion SSH UI and/or a failed start of Diversion after a reboot or whenever Dnsmasq was restarted.
Many thanks to @Adamm for reporting this with evidence here on GitHub
- Some minor fixes to increase stability.
- The swap file size options in sw are now the same as in amtm: 250 and 500 MB, 1, 2, 5 and 10 GB.

How to update Diversion
Use u or the WebUI function to update to this latest version.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online