What's new

Divide of router networks - one mask one host

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spaghetti_Jack

Occasional Visitor
Referring to Merlin Firmware,

Is there any way to and quick solution to automatically separate devices, connected to the router, from each other?
Divide network to 255 small chunks?

If not is there any applicable way to do it? Devices in my network suppose not to have any business with each other, but somehow they do whisper sometimes.

As ColinTaylor said, guest wifi has the option to control this (YazFi give the most guest control options).

However, what problem are you actually trying to solve? There is always some multicast or Upnp traffic, as well as NetBIOS broadcasts from windows machines etc. That in itself isn't typically harmful. And you may well break some things if you turn isolate all (some music streaming, media server etc ). :)

For devices that 'matter' and contain information that needs an extra level of protection, I'm assuming you have local firewalls enabled and configured? Personally, I'd start from that angle.

Just my $0.02

This is a good example of how NOT all firmware is created equal, and why the choice of firmware is NOT arbitrary or to be taken lightly.

As @ColinTaylor suggests, you could use guest networks, but this limits you to wireless only. And it's an all or nothing solution. It's not going to be easy to make exceptions (e.g., provide access to a printer on the private network from a guest network, or chromecast to a device on the guest (IOT) network from the private network). AFAIK, access between the guest networks isn't possible either. Merlin doesn't implement guest networks in a consistent manner either, sometimes using the same IP network (presumably isolated w/ ebtables), other times using different IP networks (isolated w/ iptables). When guests are using the same IP network as the private network, now you have the issue of users on some networks being able to "see" (through network discovery) other devices if NOT necessarily access them (a security issue for some ppl), and perhaps requiring more than a class C network for larger numbers of users.

For the more general and useful purposes of just adding and isolating wired/wireless networks as you see fit, Merlin was just never designed for these purposes.

Contrast that to something like FT (FreshTomato) which *is* designed from the ground up (i.e., natively) to provide such support. Everything in FT starts w/ a bridge, to which you assign whatever wired ports and/or wireless APs/VAPs you need, all of which are isolated by default, and w/ exceptions made possible via the GUI (LAN Access section), or worst case iptables.

The closest thing we have to the kind of capability you seek w/ Merlin is by @Jack Yaz, who's apparently (last I heard) working on some script(s). But even that will be a compromise since it's NOT integrated into the GUI.

IOW, the two firmwares are purposely designed to solve different problems. And it's why it matters which firmware you choose when designing your network. Of course, they both have other advantages and disadvantages. YOU have to decide which best meets your design requirements w/ the least compromises.

That's why even though I often use and recommend Merlin for my own customers, for my *personal* primary router, I still use FT. Having these sorts of capabilities are fundamental to my network architecture, regardless the other benefits Merlin offers.

Of course, the better option would probably be to NOT use these routers AT ALL for these purposes, but manage it all w/ a prosumer layer 3 managed switch and standalone APs/VAPs. But given the cost and additional complexity, probably NOT a practical solution for most users.

Last edited:
Just to show you how straight forward the setup of VLANs and Virtual APs is under Fresh Tomato here are a couple of screen shots. As stated Tomato was designed with those features built in.

Attachments

• VAP.png
    VAP.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 107
  • VLAN.png
    VLAN.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 100
Just to show you how straight forward the setup of VLANs and Virtual APs is under Fresh Tomato here are a couple of screen shots. As stated Tomato was designed with those features built in.
the bridge config looks a lot like my rough wireframe for YazFi v5. maybe I should put tomato on a router for some inspiration

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!