What's new

DIY intercom project over WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deepBlue

New Around Here
Hello,

I am very noobish in networking domain so I am looking for advice for following project idea…. I want to build communication system for motorcycle riders. Because quality intercom products like Sena and Cardo are expensive I am looking for diy solution. I am thinking of following:

- buying travel router with OpenWRT, like this: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar300m/

- installing some kind of voice server on it, like Asterisk: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-...full-voip-server-asterisk-13-on-openwrt/44362

- mounting router on one motorcycle in group, and let other riders connect to Asterisk server via smartphone VOIP client applications

NOTE: system must work without internet connection.

Is it reasonable idea? If it is, how much is range of such routers (in open space)? I know I am missing much informations about this, but at least I have great will to do such project myself.

Please feel free to give any proposals and thanks in advance for answers :)

My initial gut reaction is you'd have potentially a fair amount of RF challenges in trying to keep cycle-mates connected while in-transit.

The architecture should be easy enough to setup with Asterisk on OpenWRT hardware. The question would be whether the you could keep the smartphone of each rider connected well enough. I would suspect everyone would have to ride within no more than 50-75 feet of the bike with the router on it. Depending on the size of the group, potentially doable, potentially not. But even if it's only a group of 3 or 4 riders, the high level of fluctuating RF send/receive paths as you're moving along may nix the whole idea altogether. Would make for an interesting proof-of-concept test, if nothing else.

Hi @Trip ! Thanks for constructive answer. Now I understamd what could be potentially big challenge, except the operating range. I done a little wifi range test, with equipment I currently have:

Setup:

RaspberryPi 2 B Model with Raspbian Buster Lite (kernel 4.19) installed;
- operating as wireless access point,
- with mumble server installed.
- Wifi antenna LB-LInk BL-LW05-AR5:
- Chipset: RTL8188CUS
- Speed: 150Mbps
- Gain: 5dBi
- Standards; IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b
- Wireless Signal Rates, With Automatic Fallback:
- 11g: Up to 54Mbps (dynamic)
- 11n: Up to 150Mbps (dynamic)
- 11b: Up to 11Mbps(dynamic)
- Frequency Range: 2.4~2.4835GHz
- Wireless Transmit Power: 17dBm (Max.)
- Modulation Type: OFDM / CCK / 16-QAM / 64-QAM
- Receiver Sensitivity (without antenna);
- 135M: -74dBm@10% PER
- 108M: -74dBm@10% PER
- 54M: -76dBm@10% PER
- 11M: -89dBm@8% PER
- 6M: -90dBm@10% PER
- 1M: -92dBm@8% PER
- Work Mode: Ad-Hoc, Infrastructure

Results:

Range was tested outdoors (without signal obstacles) using Xiaomi Mi A1 smartphone with Plumble application (Mumble client).

After 100-110 meters wifi signal becomes poor.
After 180 meters wifi signal is lost.
Within this operational perimeter (<180 m) voice is clear and without significant interruptions.

Hi @Trip ! Thanks for constructive answer. Now I understamd what could be potentially big challenge, except the operating range.

Sounds like a fun project

Pi2 should be good enough for your needs.

Alternate approach might be AR-150-Ext with OpenWRT and uMurmur maybe.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/voip/umurmur
https://github.com/umurmur/umurmur

AR-150 will use less power, more reliable over time (SPI-NOR vs. MicroSD card on the Pi), and better range perhaps
I like the AR150 mostly because of the ath9k driver, it's rock solid, and in the AR9331 implementation, it scales well as an access point, much better than RealTek/MediaTek client chipsets.

Last edited:
Hi @sfx2000 . Thanks for info about AR150. I have been looking for this router for quite some time for doing WiFi Pineapple project... now I have reason more to buy it :)
When I get it, i will do a tests and post them here.