What's new

DIY or buy used?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ypar

New Around Here
Hi everybody,

I am looking for a new NAS solution for my office.

1. SITUATION

I use with video files and animations a lot. The big video files for editing are kept on the local machine, but animations, graphics, sounds, etc etc should be accessible from different machines (Windows - getting less, Macs - becoming more) over the network.

A typical project is: hundreds of image files in various directorys, some large files (like sounds or huge graphics) and mostly graphic applications.

Speed is important, to a lesser extent is data security, because only the "results" need to be backuped once a project is finished, so I don't have to keep *everything* forever.

SOLUTION 2A. USED NAS RAID5

I could buy a used (approx. 1 year old) Zyxel NSA-2400 with 4 500 GB discs installed for approx. 500 USD.

Pro:
- Plugin, install, works - that's it
- Might still have manufacturers support
- Has been tested by others

Cons:
- How good is the performance with Mac? (doesnt support AFP?)
- Performance is good, but not great

SOLUTION 2B: DIY RAID

I have a ASUS P5B Deluxe Board that comes with 6 SATA plugs and makes
RAID 5 possible out of the box. I would have to buy disks, to some work in the basement and have a 1GB Ubuntu RAID monster.

Pros:
- Performance is fantastic (?)
- Might come cheap, I only need to buy the drives
- Can put more disks in/configure it any way I want to

Cons:
- PC Hardware fails more quickly? (Rumor?)
- Powerhungry
- I might run into some bizarre problem during setup and spend xmas and new year in the basement trying to figure them out (you KNOW what I mean :) )

I'm sorry for the long post, but I tried to cover my need as thoroughly as possible.

If anyone could give me some advice, I would be very thankful.

thanks
ypar

definitely the DIY.

1. the failure rate is probably higher because of the extra points where it could fail, but i don't think this is should be a huge concern.

2. powerhungry, definitely. does depend on what processor you pick, i think you could manage sub 75W easily with lowest CPU state, but still thats alot compared to a small NAS box

3. relatively simple setup, you have lots of options (openfiler, freenas, naslite, unraid, etc.)

but with a dedicated PC you can do lots more upgrades, add a RAID card later, or dual gigabit cards, etc, MUCH faster.