What's new

Dlink DIR-655 Vista Security Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaMaN841

New Around Here
I've used the DIR-655 router for quite some time and without hiccup. However, recently I have installed Vista (what a mistake), and under the Network display, it shows an icon of the router. It offers a few options, namely the ability to view the website (192.168.x.x) or Enable/Disable the router. This really perplexes me, as I can actually Disable the router from this host, without supplying a password or go through any type of security process...which will then immediately disconnect the router from the cable modem, as if I were releasing the IP. This is by far the most bizarre bug I've ever seen, and if anyone has any information as to why the DIR-655 allows this to occur, I'd really appreciate it so I can block Vista boxes from compromising the network.

Thank you.

Have you set an admin password on the 655?

Yes, I have, which is why this is very confusing. Others have mentioned UPnP being the way Vista can control it, is that possible?

Yes, I have, which is why this is very confusing. Others have mentioned UPnP being the way Vista can control it, is that possible?
I'm pretty sure that the control is via UPnP. I would try disabling it in the 655 (Advanced > Advanced Network) and see if you can still disconnect it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!