What's new

Possible DNS and/or Routing Issue Ping/Latency Slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

poolbeetse7en

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

I recently seem to be suffering from an issue which is causing a lot of latency in my network. I intitially thought it was my new laptop howvever on further inspection, it seems to be my entire home network.

If I ping www.google.com from a terminal or command line, pings are taking about 150-200ms. If I ping 8.8.8.8 it takes around 15-20ms which is normal.

I peformed a traceroute and it seems that my DNS queries are going via the US? I am UK based. I have no idea why this is happening. Another example is if I ping www.bbc.co.uk, it routes via the USA instead of local here in the UK.

I've tried various DNS providers such as Quad9, AdGuard etc. All haven't made a difference. I swapped out my router to my original ISP and the issue is gone, so it's definitely on my Asus AX56 router installed with the latest 388.2_2 firmware.

I am using AdGuard DNS but even when I disable it, it makes no difference.

Really appreciate any pointers. This is driving me nuts lol.

Have you tried your ISP's DNS? That should get you to local sites as they tend to point to the popper CDN.

Have you tried your ISP's DNS? That should get you to local sites as they tend to point to the popper CDN.
Yes I have, thanks. Something seems to be overriding these settings. I am suspecting it's something to do with AdGaurd DNS but I can't be sure. Disabling it doens't solve the issue but I think there's more going on there. Factory resetting is of course an option, but I spent that long configuring it and would prefer not to do it all again if it's something silly I missed.

I have a feeling the op is with vodafone. For the past couple of years the routing has been well off, or as vf call it "load balancing". I myself was routed via Ghana for a while.
Their own dns (as the rest of their network) is oversubscribed, slowing to a crawl at times.
But don't worry, other UK ISPs will be going the same way soon.
If the op is not on Vodafone just ignore this post.

Yes I have, thanks. Something seems to be overriding these settings. I am suspecting it's something to do with AdGaurd DNS but I can't be sure. Disabling it doens't solve the issue but I think there's more going on there. Factory resetting is of course an option, but I spent that long configuring it and would prefer not to do it all again if it's something silly I missed.

Are you using DNS Director to point to AdGuard DNS? DNS Director will override other DNS settings.

I have a feeling the op is with vodafone. For the past couple of years the routing has been well off, or as vf call it "load balancing". I myself was routed via Ghana for a while.
Their own dns (as the rest of their network) is oversubscribed, slowing to a crawl at times.
But don't worry, other UK ISPs will be going the same way soon.
If the op is not on Vodafone just ignore this post.
Haha Ghana?! WTF! No it's not that bad lol. I'm not with Vodafone thankfully. I pretty much never use my own ISP DNS. I almost always use Quad9 which I have never had an issue with.

Are you using DNS Director to point to AdGuard DNS? DNS Director will override other DNS settings.
Thanks. Oddly enough, DNS Director was actually enabled and the User defined addresses had 4 entries, all with 8.8.8.8. I don't recall ever adding them. I tried removing them and disabling it, but still no luck. I think I might have to go ahead and try a factory reset.

all with 8.8.8.8

This is the default. They are not used if you have no devices set with user defined DNS redirection. You don't need to do factory reset for this.

Behind CG-Nat, Adguard DNS uses Tokyo server. When tried on mobile line, it correctly route me thru London.

This is the default. They are not used if you have no devices set with user defined DNS redirection. You don't need to do factory reset for this.
Thanks! I didn't know it was set like that by default. Regardless, it didn't resolve my issue. I think it's sorted now. I will post an update shortly. Thanks.

After a factory reset and a system restore, I've finally got it working fine! The only exception is that I will need to install AdGuard again. I actually think this might have been the issue all along, though I can't explain why it suddenly just started happening. Usually a change would cause this, but I hadn't even logged into AdGuard for months. I do know that I set it up to use Quad9 as well. As @EmeraldDeer mentioned, I'm going to change to the ECS version of Quad9 and hopefully this issue won't pop up again. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!