What's new

DNS, dnsmasq.postconf, How To?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
Long ago, I used dnsmasq.postconf to put my Pihole's local IP (V4 & V6) into DHCP for various clients use. Some just don't have the good sense to listen to manual configuration.
Then, awhile back, (like the precise timing?), this method quit working. It caused the interface to be included with the IP address, but only on wireless clients. I never got any resolution on this.
It looked like this: fe80::da16:4c05:d30d:efd6%wlan0
I do not wish to use the DNSFilter option as that causes the Pihole to see all lookups as coming from a single IP address, the router.
So, since I am going to take my router back to shiny clean factory state in order to load the 386 betas, how shall I proceed? I'm attaching the file I have come up with. It has to have a txt extension or won't be attached.

Any new info/idea is certainly welcome.

Attachments

• dnsmasq.postconf.txt
    152 bytes · Views: 184
The latest pihole version will allow dnsmasq from the router to pass the LAN client's IP to the PiHole for client identification. We discussed it in this thread:
Once the router WAN DNS is configured to point to Pi-Hole, you can add add-subnet=32 to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.add and then run service restart_dnsmasq

The latest pihole version will allow dnsmasq from the router to pass the LAN client's IP to the PiHole for client identification. We discussed it in this thread:
Once the router WAN DNS is configured to point to Pi-Hole, you can add add-subnet=32 to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.add and then run service restart_dnsmasq

Router is configured, just wanting to ensure I've gotten everything from the various threads.
Here is my dnsmasq.add (not dnsmasq.conf.add)

Code:
strict-order
add-subnet=32
local=/0.100.10.10.in-addr.arpa/

There must be more to it than that as I setup the WAN DNS, dnsmasq.conf.add, and DNSFilter to Router.
That produced only the router being identified in the pihole, no other device was shown. But, the router did have 50,000 hits so all the traffic was redirected.