What's new

DNS leak test fail ONLY on wifi devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Silent-OCN

Occasional Visitor
Im pulling my hair out with this one. I have setup nordvpn on my asus rt86u router. On ethernet devices the vpn works just fine. However on ANY wifi device in my home, the DNS leak test initially shows the correct nordvpn ip address, however when I do standard or extended test it ALWAYS shows datacamp in Germany. I have spoken to nordvpn and their tech support was useless.

Can someone help me work out why this is happening? I have tried all sorts of different setups but NOTHING works, it always shows the incorrect result on dnsleaktest.

Thank you

I assume you've got all your WLAN clients setup under the VPN Director?
You might find this article interesting regarding NordVPN and others.

What devices are you experiencing this with on wifi? Some smart devices automatically change mac address on reconnect. If the clients being router via Mac address or non-static ip, this might be an issue. Try routing all traffic through the VPN to see if anything changes.

@Silent-OCN you need to provide more details.
What is the DNS settings on the clients that are wired? What about the ones on Wifi? What is your VPN setup on the router?

Ideally with some screenshots so people can see what's going on :)

thank you nteresting read

What devices are you experiencing this with on wifi? Some smart devices automatically change mac address on reconnect. If the clients being router via Mac address or non-static ip, this might be an issue. Try routing all traffic through the VPN to see if anything changes.
Any device connected via WiFi.

@Silent-OCN you need to provide more details.
What is the DNS settings on the clients that are wired? What about the ones on Wifi? What is your VPN setup on the router?

Ideally with some screenshots so people can see what's going on :)
DNS is set in Asus router admin page to the nordvpn DNS addresses. I haven't changed DNS on WiFi devices since I'm thinking what is the need, if all traffic from each WiFi device is passing through the router which is supposedly passing all traffic through the VPN.

The VPN is Nord and I set it up on my router and I changed the DNS to Nord.

But nothing at all is working. Every single dam time every device on WiFi shows this stupid German datacamp on DNS leak test and Nord have said it's not theirs. I tried to speak to Nord several times but they are useless.

I do yes. I quickly read that article but it's not relevant to me, just sounds like windscribe claiming they are better than everyone else.

This question has been asked before. The Datacamp addresses are CDN servers for NordVPN's DNS servers 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100.

But then why when I ask Nord do they state the server isn't theirs?
Maybe because the support people don't know the names of all the companies around the world that they use to proxy their DNS servers?

Also why does this only happen on WAN devices? My pc doesn't do this, extended DNS leak tests show the correct expected VPN result
I have no idea how you've setup your system or how your clients work. Presumably at some point you configured something with addresses 103.86.96.100 and/or 103.86.99.100.

When I set default NordVPN DNS servers 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100 my requests are going to this server:

NordVPN is perhaps leasing servers from Datacamp Ltd, but you can also see M247 Ltd, Hydra Communications, etc. This is normal.
Ok thanks for the info. Just seems strange it only happens on WiFi devices in my home. Is it 100% guaranteed working if I go to nordvp.com and it shows the correct VPN IP address and says you are protected?

Im pulling my hair out with this one. I have setup nordvpn on my asus rt86u router. On ethernet devices the vpn works just fine. However on ANY wifi device in my home, the DNS leak test initially shows the correct nordvpn ip address, however when I do standard or extended test it ALWAYS shows datacamp in Germany. I have spoken to nordvpn and their tech support was useless.

Can someone help me work out why this is happening? I have tried all sorts of different setups but NOTHING works, it always shows the incorrect result on dnsleaktest.

Thank you
Silent et al,

I posted more over on your other post:

but I can validate I get different results between wired/wireless connections. I also setup a phone using the Nord App (with settings as close to router as possible) and connected to same server and got a different different DNS leak test result.

Very puzzling indeed, and the worst kind of issue to troubleshoot. I hope to investigate this more in the future.