What's new

DNS leak test fails with merlin/asus nordvpn setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So many devices nowadays default to using "private" DNS services (e.g. DoH or DoT), Android, Apple, Firefox, etc. So these devices will report different DNS servers.
Confirmation of this when using network wide pihole and ads still popping led me down this rabbit hole to find hidden settings in android bypassing my dns setup. Not only did the phone have a setting but the browser also had one enabled allowing bypass to occur. Just because you setup things to do one thing doesn't mean another piece of the puzzle will abide by your in instructions.

This issue a lot of people have. There is an issue with the Merlin software and it started when they updated from RT-AX86U_386-2_0. Every update since that version number has DNS leaks using vpn on ASUS. RT-AX86U_386-2_0 is the LAST full working version with ZERO leaks. DO NOT use newer versions if you dont want leaks. Hoping one day they will fix this, im not sure if they even know about it yet. I get the same leaks on all devices as everyone else. Download the above mentioned version to avoid leaks and set all the setting as your VPN provider requests.

Welcome to the forums @highbunny.

That is some bad advice.

How are you coming to this conclusion?