What's new

DNS leak with OpenVPN Accept DNS Configuration 'Exclusive'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flamey

New Around Here
Firstly, thanks to RMerlin for all the hard work on this firmware.

I'm not sure if this is something I am doing wrong or if this is expected behaviour.
Router: RT-AC68U, testing client is windows 10.
I'm running two OpenVPN servers:

VPN1: To be able to mount a network share, therefore the policy routing is set to only route over the VPN for this one IP.
VPN2: To tunnel all internet traffic over except the one IP which is excluded under policy routing to WAN to be sent over VPN1.

The issue i'm having is that by my understanding the 'Accept DNS Configuration: Exclusive' option should do the following:

When combined with Policy based routing, this means that all clients that are configured to go through the VPN will use the DNS servers provided by the VPN tunnel, but those configured to go through the WAN will keep using the ISP's DNS.

When VPN2 is connected and running a ipleak test, my ISPs DNS servers are returned rather than the VPNs DNS. The following is shown in the connection log:
openvpn-updown: Forcing 192.168.1.100 to use DNS server 209.222.18.222
openvpn-updown: Excluding 192.168.1.100 from forced DNS routing
openvpn-updown: Excluding 192.168.1.1 from forced DNS routing
openvpn-updown: Excluding 192.168.1.100 from forced DNS routing

If I use 'Strict' then there are no DNS leaks however I understand if the VPNs DNS servers are not available it would fall-back to the ISP nameservers?
If there are no policy rules in place, exclusive works fine.

Thanks

If you configure exceptions on a device, then it will no longer force that device to a specific DNS.