What's new

DNS Masq and TP-Link Extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael R Stamper

Occasional Visitor
Hi - I am using YazFi and the DNS Masq function. This worked great up until I started using a TP-Link WiFi Extender. The device works great, and my SSIDs are duplicated and connected to the internet. I am connecting the Extender to my router via WPS.
The only issue I am having is when I connect to the SSIDs running through the Wi-Fi extender the DNS Masq doesn’t seem to be working - the device, a Roku streaming device, can see the internet but doesn’t recognize the new DNS (the purpose of which is to geolocate my device in the US).

This works without the Wi-Fi extender. I am light years away from being an expert in these things - is this expected behavior? I thought the extender would just mirror the SSIDs in their entirely but it seems to only partially work.

I’d appreciate some expert advice :)

Thanks!

What router and firmware are you running YazFi on?

To properly extend your network as you expect, ideally, a compatible AiMesh router is required (you can't mix and match brands).

A third-party extender is simply 'extending' and repeating the SSID you connected it to, without giving it any of the attributes of the main router.

What router and firmware are you running YazFi on?

To properly extend your network as you expect, ideally, a compatible AiMesh router is required (you can't mix and match brands).

A third-party extender is simply 'extending' and repeating the SSID you connected it to, without giving it any of the attributes of the main router.
Thank you - I now better understand what the extender is doing. I will say - the signal is MUCH stronger now away from the router :).

I am using and Asus router with the Merlin firmware. It’s the RT-AC3200 router which is a little older but is pretty powerful.

I use YazFi to force a dedicated SSID for VPN, the other SSIDs are just pass through a to the DNS service. As you suggest though, that DNS routing that my router is doing is. It being passed on to the extender - those SSIDs are just connected to the internet without the DNS routing.

I am wondering - can I tell my Asus router to specifically route the extender through my DNS service? I see the extender as a connected device in the Asus connected settings.

The RT-AC3200 is not running current RMerlin firmware (it has been dropped from support). I'm not sure if YazFi is 'known' to work properly on it either.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

You may need to do a 'Better Search' (see the top of the page for this enhanced search option) for more information on your specific setup.

The RT-AC3200 is not running current RMerlin firmware (it has been dropped from support). I'm not sure if YazFi is 'known' to work properly on it either.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin

You may need to do a 'Better Search' (see the top of the page for this enhanced search option) for more information on your specific setup.
While I am not on the LATEST version of Merlin I most certainly AM running the Merlin firmware and the YazFi code that my Merlin firmware supports.
C3BB4A10-8199-467F-95AC-FEEE18D471BB.jpeg

In short - Merlin and YazFi work fine prior to the extender in my setup - except I moved to a bigger condo and the router is near the front door and my devices are much farther away than before through a bunch of walls. I have successfully connected the extender to the router but as you suggest the DNS that the DNSMasq function/capability is not being passed on through the extender.

I will try routing the extender through my dns in the DNSFilter setting.

Thanks, I guess, for your info.

That code is obsolete and more importantly doesn't run AiMesh v2.0 (to properly propagate the settings to the nodes).

You may want to consider upgrading your RT-AC3200 to a newer/better model. Not just for more performance and features, but for the security too.

The choices (with RMerlin support) are RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, and the superior RT-AX86U. With any of these models, you may only need a single router to cover your new condominium.

I guess you're welcome too. :)

There's no such thing as a "DNS Masq function". What exactly are you referring to that doesn't work?

Yes, there is, with YazFI you add dnsmasq.conf.add and it applies the DNS server to your connection. Again, this works without the extender, but when I put the extender in place.

I feel you are being combative and I don't know why. The tagline of this website seems much more welcoming.

"SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network. If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!"

I came here to learn about how I can improve the capability of my WiFi extender and see how I can achieve the same DNS mapping I enjoyed WITHOUT the extender in my Asus Merlin and YazFI setup. Instead, I get told "learn to search" and "you can't be using Merlin as your router is not supported" and the "dnsmasq capability you are using doesn't exist".

I hope you have a wonderful day. I will look for knowledge and answers elsewhere. I DID preface my original post that I am new to networking and I admit I don't understand everything.

1627861521767.png

Having a bad day? You're twisting everything above. I think you're the combative person here. We really are trying to help where we can. You know, for free.

When you state you're new to networking and don't understand everything, it may be a good idea to listen to what others are trying to tell you instead of automatically going on the defensive.

I feel you are being combative and I don't know why. The tagline of this website seems much more welcoming.
I was not intentionally trying to be combative. I was trying to understand your question so that I could attempt to answer it. "DNS<space>Masq" is not the same as "dnsmasq" or "dnsmasq.conf.add" so I didn't know what you were referring to.

Perhaps I have taken things the wrong way - I apologize and I will give the benefit of the doubt. Thank you for trying to understand my issue, and for offering advice.

I was told that whilst my RT-AC3200 is old that I should hold off buying another router until the "next generation" of Asus routers comes out - perhaps I should rethink that.

The issue I am trying to solve with the extender was stated above - the RT-AC3200 router signal is spotty where my office is. The extender DOES seem to help, the connection seems stronger, but as above, the YazFi DNSMASQ capability isn't being passed on.

I DID try to route all of the traffic for the extender through the DNS service using the DNS Filter function - but alas - the traffic is NOT going through the service - at least that is what Hulu tells me :) I was hoping to drive all traffic for the extender through the custom DNS but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the free help, and again, my apologies for taking things the wrong way. I apologize and realize I need another cup of coffee (or maybe less coffee) - otherwise the problem is mine and I will do better.

1627864767140.png

If you're using WDS Mode on the RE650 the MAC address you're using above will be that of the extender itself, not the clients connected to the extender.

If you want to apply a filter to all devices you probably need to use Universal Mode. If you want to filter a specific client you need to use WDS or Proxy mode and the client's MAC address.

Last edited:
If you're using WDS Mode on the RE650 the MAC address you're using above will be that of the extender itself, not the clients connected to the extender.

If you want to apply a filter to all devices you probably need to use Universal Mode. If you want to filter a specific client you need to use WDS or Proxy mode and the client's MAC address.
Thanks, Colin - the image above is the MAC Address of the extender itself - the device is called RE650. Custom1 is the DNS address my provider has provided me.

What I am hoping for in the settings illustrated is all traffic is "normal" without DNS with the ONE EXCEPTION of the RE650 extender to utilize the Custom 1 DNS I have entered into the form.

Unfortunately the extender's traffic doesn't seem to be using the DNS service, as HULU says "no" :)

1627866938940.png

Read the link I posted above. It explains the different modes on the TP-Link better than I can.

I still don't know what you mean by "with the ONE EXCEPTION of the RE650 extender". Do you mean one individual client connected to the extender or all clients connected to the extender?

Don't confuse the extender itself with the clients connected to it.

Sure - sorry. I want all of the clients connected to the extender to be routed through the DNS service. I “thought” - seemingly incorrectly - that if I told my Asus router with the DNS Filter to route the extender itself through the DNS filter that all clients connected to the extender unit would subsequently be routed through the DNS filter.

I did try using the TP-Link utility as you suggested via the link above (thank you) to route the traffic through the DNS service but it didn’t take - Hulu still said “no”.

I will continue to look for more solutions. I’ve considered getting 2x routers and setting up a mesh network - but one of the main things I use the YazFi code for is to have 1 dedicated VPN connection and I don’t believe that will work in a mesh environment. Living outside of the US and watching US TV is a pain :) especially when they really don’t want you doing it.

I’ll continue to poke around. Thanks.

My 2 cents worth - that's a great extender and has capabilities well beyond simply extending your wifi range :)
I think the solution probably lies with the RE650 - and I suggest you look at page 31 of the Manual - Q5 ... may just help ??
If you don't have the manual - here it is ..

Sadly your present Asus is not only out of Merlin support - it also does not seem to be AiMesh capable.
My two Rt-AX86U's play very well together with AiMesh2 - and with latest Merlin 386.3 the Guest1 WiFi [and its separate subnet] would likely work well with your SSID to special regional VPN managed under latest VPN Director [a feature of 386.3].

Hope the manual link works - good luck.

I have an RE200 extender. Not sure if the 650 is the same, but clients connecting to the RE200 extender get a 'blended' mac address. The first three octets of the extender mac, combined with the last three octets of the actual client.
So you would have to enter that new mac into DNSFilter for each client.

Last edited:
I have an RE200 extender. Not sure if the 650 is the same, but clients connecting to the RE200 extender get a 'blended' mac address. The first three octets of the extender mac, combined with the last three octets of the actual client.
So you would have to enter that new mac into DNSFilter for each client.
Thank you! This worked perfectly. Thanks so much!!!!