What's new

DNS Settings in router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bopsie

New Around Here
Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find it searching....

I have a simple home setup: ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 (connected to a DSL modem) with a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. My question is about DNS IP settings. On the WAN side, I point to Open DNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220). What should I use on the LAN side in the DHCP settings? Do I just use 192.168.1.1, so all computers just talk to the router for DNS, which will resolve local names and ask Open DNS for non-local names? Or do I use an external DNS (such as 208.67.222.222) and assume the router will resolve local names that Open DNS doesn't resolve, since the router should know them via DHCP?

Hope this question makes sense, but I don't know how name resolution happens in detail....

Thanks

Don’t put external DNS servers in the LAN DHCP fields, because then the router won’t get requests for the local names. Let the router be the only internal DNS server IP (leave both fields blank).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!