What's new

dnscrypt disadvantages

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asus_man

New Around Here
Hello

Just wondering if there is any disadvantages in using dnscrypt for privacy? its just that in there github page in the disclaimer they have a warning that reads "f you are using it for privacy, it might do the opposite of what you are trying to achieve." can someone explain

Hello

Just wondering if there is any disadvantages in using dnscrypt for privacy? its just that in there github page in the disclaimer they have a warning that reads "f you are using it for privacy, it might do the opposite of what you are trying to achieve." can someone explain

Using DNSCrypt with a cert will definitely allow 3/4 Letter Agencies to track all DNS queries back to the person - that's why...

Hello

As sfx says, encryption is not precisely a protection of privacy. Encryption is a matter of security.

Privacy & security are related, but not the same.

so is it safe to say that dnscrypt can be used to prevent mitm? if not what real advantages does it offer?

so is it safe to say that dnscrypt can be used to prevent mitm? if not what real advantages does it offer?

DNSCrypt doesn't prevent man in the middle attacks - not going to go into the "why" as the how is well beyond DNS...

(the guy in the middle can do this..., hint, hint, hint...)

I thought so, but I may be wrong...

DNSCrypt doesn't prevent man in the middle attacks - not going to go into the "why" as the how is well beyond DNS...

(the guy in the middle can do this..., hint, hint, hint...)
Ok good to know, so then what are some reason why to use dnscrypt? what benefits of using it?

Ok good to know, so then what are some reason why to use dnscrypt? what benefits of using it?

Forget what we might think...

Search Google and this forum and deduce your own opinion. Security/privacy is an interesting topic because it blends mathematics & philosophy.

You are asking questions that have been asked many times before... (and answered by people smarter than us). Find those answers.

Glad to see yet another spirited discussion on security, privacy, dns, and, perhaps, exercises in futility.

I'm glad to see the DNSSEC option has been included in Merlin's 380 build.
In terms of the DNS, is this the only "security" option necessary for home-use internet traffic? Assuming that's a "no" or a dismissive response, what, if anything (else) could/should be used to attempt a best-case privacy AND security method?

I'm sure some of these questions have been answered somewhere else, some time ago; however, given the accelerating pace of technological developments (not strictly code), implementations, standards, etc. it would be useful to, at least provide a link to a up-to-date, long-term, reputable resource on this matter instead of simply advising people to "google".

Is it advisable, necessary, or even effective to install/implement `dnscrypt-proxy` for an additional security layer? I suppose this isn't a viable option, given its conflicting affect regarding privacy. Notwithstanding the obvious, yet often-misunderstood, differences between privacy and security, it has to be said that lacklustre privacy is DIRECTLY related to security, as it needlessly exposes people to numerous risks in various segments of their lives (financial, physical, emotional, etc.).

Finally, should the DNS-filtering service be enabled to protect against "malicious content"? It's somewhat disheartening that OpenDNS was acquired by cisco; though, I'm not sure to what end and how effective any dns-related services protect privacy and security.

NOTE: in terms of privacy, it's not the Government "3 letter agencies" that people are/should be concerned about; rather, it's the ever-expanding and -multiplying number of "big data"-intoxicated corporations that pose the greatest risk to security through the dismantling of privacy.