What's new

Dnscrypt from opendns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Added wiki
After a while, if I go to test page http://welcome.opendns.com/ I get "Oops... You aren't using OpenDNS yet"
dnscrypt-proxy is started but host file shows only
Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.1 router.asus.com
192.168.1.1 www.asusnetwork.net
192.168.1.1 www.asusrouter.com
192.168.1.1 RT-AC66U. RT-AC66U
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
Now I have to see after how much time is stop working and why.

After a while, if I go to test page http://welcome.opendns.com/ I get "Oops... You aren't using OpenDNS yet"
The same result.
Try to click other two test links. It's seems OK.

On Windows clients, don't forget to clean DNS cache by:
Code:
> ipconfig /flushdns

dnscrypt-proxy is started but host file shows only
Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/hosts
…
Nevermind, as long as system date is right, no need to add those strings to /etc/hosts again.

Last edited:
Other two links are working fine, just wondering why hosts file is not updating, something wrong with the script?

I was looking at github for more information about dns-crypt and found an interesting subject about dns cache.

Would this give a huge performance boost?
That's what exactly we've done here! When you'll complete HOW-TO steps, you'll get secured DNS requests cached by dnsmasq.

No need to do any additional steps, caching is working.

That's what exactly we've done here! When you'll complete HOW-TO steps, you'll get secured DNS requests cached by dnsmasq.

No need to do any additional steps, caching is working.

So if I understand correctly dnsmasq is always configured caching ?
It's a preconfigured parameter.
We only forward dnscrypt to make actually use of the dns caching
And my previous comment was completely stupid I see know :eek:

So if I understand correctly dnsmasq is always configured caching ?
In firmware? Yes, up to 1500 entries will be cached:
Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# grep cache /etc/dnsmasq.conf
no-negcache
cache-size=1500

Is there a way without installing entware?

Hi guys I saw the procedure, in entware but I have to uninstall download manager that I use I dont feel very good installing entware just to use dnscrypt I am tempted to do it but... I saw in google that tomato has this in the firmware just with a check mark now like merlinwrt is based on it can it be possible that Merlin activates this without the need of installing entware? I dont want to change Merlins firmware to tomato I really like his work and Im not going to take that route Im just asking if its possible or if its in Merlins plans.
Thanks

Hi guys I saw the procedure, in entware but I have to uninstall download manager that I use I dont feel very good installing entware just to use dnscrypt I am tempted to do it but... I saw in google that tomato has this in the firmware just with a check mark now like merlinwrt is based on it can it be possible that Merlin activates this without the need of installing entware? I dont want to change Merlins firmware to tomato I really like his work and Im not going to take that route Im just asking if its possible or if its in Merlins plans.
Thanks

If you install entware you also can use transmission aka "download manager".
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware
It's a win,win situation because with entware's transmission you will get a huge speed improvement

Hi,

Spasibo ryzhov_al for the guide.

How do i execute step #4?

'Put this content to /jffs/scripts/wan-start'

Hi!
How do i execute step #4?

'Put this content to /jffs/scripts/wan-start'
1) opkg install mc
2) mcedit /jffs/scripts/wan-start
3) copy code block from this thread,
4) return to ssh console and press Shift + Ins,
5) press F2 to save changes.

Jul 20 13:38:32 dnscrypt-proxy[515]: Proxying from 127.0.0.1:65053 to 208.67.220.220:443

Thanks ;)

Well crap, optware keeps disabling entware after restarts, even after being uninstalled.

I think I'm having this problem too - is there a fix? Here's my scenario:
Partition and format (ext3) usb flash drive from within router. Install entware and dnscrypt as described in the wiki. OpenDNS test pages indicate success. System log shows dnscrypt activity. All systems go.
After reboot, entware becomes disabled and /opt goes missing. usb drive is still mounted, however it is now sdb1 instead of sda1. I see that the post-mount script looks for sda1; could that be the breaking point? Could we modify the script to have it look for the sdx1 containing entware as I think some other scripts do?

Also, since dnscrypt does caching, is it safe to assume that windows DNS client can be disabled?

And finally, under WAN configuration, does it even matter if 'Connect to DNS server automatically' is enabled or disabled, if dnscrypt is active?

Thanks

I think I'm having this problem too - is there a fix? Here's my scenario:
Partition and format (ext3) usb flash drive from within router. Install entware and dnscrypt as described in the wiki. OpenDNS test pages indicate success. System log shows dnscrypt activity. All systems go.
After reboot, entware becomes disabled and /opt goes missing. usb drive is still mounted, however it is now sdb1 instead of sda1. I see that the post-mount script looks for sda1; could that be the breaking point? Could we modify the script to have it look for the sdx1 containing entware as I think some other scripts do?

Also, since dnscrypt does caching, is it safe to assume that windows DNS client can be disabled?

And finally, under WAN configuration, does it even matter if 'Connect to DNS server automatically' is enabled or disabled, if dnscrypt is active?

Thanks

Hi

First off all you'd better reformat your usb flash drive to ext2 because ext3 is a journaling filesystem. Ext2 performs fewer writes than ext3 since it does not need to write to the journal.

For the entware problem you can give your partions a label. Then use this great script from Nerre.

Give it a label
Code:
tune2fs -L label /dev/partition

Place this script in post-mount
Code:
#!/bin/sh
[ ! -e /tmp/opt ] && [ -e /mnt/<label> ] && ln -s /mnt/<label> /tmp/opt
sleep 2s
[ "$1" = "/tmp/mnt/<label>" ] && /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start

And as far as I know you can disable DNS client under services
Also it doesn't matter if 'Connect to DNS server is enabled because we add "no-resolv" to it in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to ask, when updating the firmware, do I have to reinstall entware / dnscrypt again?