What's new

DNScrypt Dnscrypt Proxy Installer For Asuswrt-Merlin(Nov.)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DNSCrypt installer have been updated and works with DNSCrypt-proxy v2.1.2

Also http/3 DoH3 Quic is now enabled if selected DoH servers supports it.
(Can be seen in syslog if log level is changed to 1 during install or reconfigure in DNSCrypt Installer)

Huge Thanks to @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for applying fast/awesome patches/updates for the installer as always :)

DNSCrypt has been update V2.1.3. Could you please update in AMTM with this?
1675400790457.png

DNSCrypt has been update V2.1.3. Could you please update in AMTM with this?
View attachment 47658
You should be able to the update in amtm with "u" to see that a update is available.
Recommend to do a backup of jffs via router gui or dnscrypt installers backup function before you update.
From amtm "di" and then "1" to update to the new version.
/Zastoff

Hi, which server its fine in Europe?

As i can see +200 servers and i dont know which one is better than others.

Hi, which server its fine in Europe?

As i can see +200 servers and i dont know which one is better than others.
Welcome to the forum @brodas
If unsure you can try the "automatic" option in the installer, then you also will be asked for some filtering option for servers.

Maybe skip relay stuff(servers can be configured to use relay servers, route your dns via another server so that the main dns server can't see your ip)Skip this if unsure to start with.

Router syslog will then display all servers that is being used from fastest to slowest, note that dnscrypt-proxy's default load balancing is that the 2 fastest servers will be used.(dnscrypt-proxy retest servers every 4 hours, so your list is always current and the fastest servers used)
If you want, you can reconfigure after you now know what servers that is fast for you to a manual config.(automatic is a nice option with the filtering and load balancing options can even make a exclude list if wanted)
Hope this helps.
/Zastoff

Last edited:
Hello, can someone please help me with what's going on here with me.
Why can't I install DNSCrypt?
In the 2 pictures, you can see the installation is not possible and on the other picture, which scripts I have active.
It should be mentioned that I have manually set only another DNS server, but do not have a DoT active.

Thank you for your help :)

IMG_3161.PNG
IMG_3162.PNG

It finds one or more of these files or directories. If you’re sure you don’t use Entware stubby or AGH, remove the files (you might see an error if any file is not present):
Code:
rm /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby /opt/sbin/stubby /opt/bin/install_stubby /jffs/scripts/install_stubby.sh
rm -rf /jffs/addons/AdGuardHome.d

Hello, can someone please help me with what's going on here with me.
In the 2 pictures, you can see the installation is not possible and on the other picture, which scripts I have active.
It should be mentioned that I have manually set only another DNS server, but do not have a DoT active.

Thank you for your help :)

View attachment 53151 View attachment 53152
I would also recommend not running Unbound with dnscrypt proxy, otherwise you may overwhelm your router. That is probably how you are using stubby (or had stubby installed). Choosing which dns solution to use is not like picking out which candy you like. You cannot simply try them all at the same time on a router until you decide which one you like most. You have to be careful and methodic if you expect not to crash your router.

Last edited:
rm /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby /opt/sbin/stubby /opt/bin/install_stubby /jffs/scripts/install_stubby.sh rm -rf /jffs/addons/AdGuardHome.d
I can safely delete the directories? Doesn't unbound or any of the other scripts use one of the directories I've listed?

I would also recommend not running Unbound with dnscrypt proxy, otherwise you may overwhelm your router. That is probably how you are using stubby (or had stubby installed). Choosing which dns solution to use is not like picking out which candy you like. You cannot simply try them all at the same time on a router until you decide which one you like most. You have to be careful and methodic if you expect not to crash your router.
That means you recommend me the situation as it is, to continue with unbound or to delete unbound and install dnscrypt specifically?

Thank you :)

That means you recommend me the situation as it is, to continue with unbound or to delete unbound and install dnscrypt specifically?

Thank you :)
That is the recommended route. You are welcome to do as you like. I didn't add any safeguards to prevent you from running Unbound and dnscrypt proxy together, however it will likely not work well if you run stubby with it.

Hey guys, very new here to the ASUS Router world ...

Is it possible to get Adguardhome and DNSCrypt install to play nice together? I'm currently getting an error message trying to install it with Adguard already installed ... I'm sure that you could just input the address DNSCrypt is listening on into the Adguard Home DNS settings page?

Is it possible to get Adguardhome and DNSCrypt install to play nice together? I'm currently getting an error message trying to install it with Adguard already installed ... I'm sure that you could just input the address DNSCrypt is listening on into the Adguard Home DNS settings page?
Think both installers prevent them from being used at the same time.
Adguardhome is a dns proxy that support most encrypted dns options and also with ad block options (custom lists and so on can be added via a user interface)

Dnscrypt-proxy has some other features anonymized-dnscrypt and oblivious dns over https

Regular Ad block dns servers can be used.(many dns servers providers have security/adblock/family options)
Dnscrypt-proxy has the ability to use block lists but the installer has no options for that.(think it is an old post about it and how it can be configured, but i recommend Diversion)

I use dnscrypt-proxy with Diversion(ad block) and Skynet(firewall addon)

Dnscrypt is installed on router (jffs) and have no other dependencies = less problems (will work without USB drive/disk but swap is recommended in the long run)

Last edited:

No, they will not play nicely with each other on a router, nor will these installers let them be installed together. If you are wanting to try both of them out, I recommend making a backup, and uninstalling. Test them separately. Use the one you prefer over the other.