What's new

dnsmasq as local DNS server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mohan_kr

New Around Here
First of all thanks for this build. How would I go about configuring "dnsmasq" as local DNS server? I am using custom config "dnsmasq.conf" instead of the append mode, as I have a whole list of IP's (MAC addresses) that I normally use. It is read perfectly, but for some reason, I still need to specify /etc/resolv.conf as if I log into to the router the DNS resolution does not work.

Is there some built-in firewall rule that is preventing dnsmasq to act as the DNS server? Otherwise everything appears to work.

What I would like is to route all DNS requests within my LAN to my dnsmasq, regardless of what the client has set as DNS server. For some reason, dnsmasq is not acting as the DNS server. I have this set:

no-resolv

Hi, thanks. I got what I need to do, did you mean "resolv.conf" or "hosts"?
not sure what you mean by adding to "hosts" file.

You said you had a whole list of IPs. I assumed you meant you had a bunch of IPs you wanted mapped to specific hostnames, and to become resolvable by your clients. For this, you must use the hosts file.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!