What's new

dnsmasq - tftp broken?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unsynaps

I have been ripping my hair out the last two days trying to get tftp in dnsmasq working. Now after all that time it seems there is some kind of bug in the service.

Setting up the server setting 'tftp-root=/jffs/tftpboot' in '/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add' results in the 'dnsmasq-tftp: TFTP root is /jffs/tftpboot' line in syslog.log on restarting the service. But when trying to fo a tftp GET on a file in that root folder it says it can not find it. So I tried to do a tftp PUT and it was not in the root folder but it did send with no error. Running a find command for the file finds it in /tmp ?!?! I then run another tftp GET command on some file in /tmp and it gets it successfully!

In short it seems that dnsmasq is not respecting the 'tftp-root' setting despite system log saying 'dnsmasq-tftp: TFTP root is /jffs/tftpboot'.

I don't know about tftp, but dnsmasq for dns/dhcp drops root privileges and runs as user "nobody". Does that user have access to files in /jffs/tftpboot ?

Yep. All files are world readable on creation.

I will double check and 777 everything later tonight/tomorrow.

Double checked the permissions. No matter what I do dnsmasq seems to make /tmp the tftproot.

Last edited:
Hello, I have currently the same issue - have you find solution? - tested with fw recent38.4-2; 380.68_4 and 380.70beta

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!